Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Friend needs his power steering pump changed on 2001 impreza outback; tough job?

It's a very easy job, if you can change a tranny this is a piece of cake.

Just be careful getting the banjo bolt back in, they're easy to get in crooked and cross-thread.

Also, use ATF Dextron, not power steering fluid.

Edited by 987687

It should be fairly easy to turn by hand either way. If it's tight, yea, sounds bad. You shouldn't get much leakage. It's a remote reservoir with a hose off the bottom that goes to the top of the pump. I'd put a rag under the lines when you disconnect them, but you don't need a catch bucket. No special tools needed.

I've never taken a pulley off, so no idea there. But it's probably just a 19mm nut on a keyed or tapered shaft. I don't know the exact sizes that hold the pump to the bracket. But it's probably either 12 or 14mm, and the banjo bolt is probably 17. All common subaru sizes.

Edited by 987687

17mm nut on the pulley, crack it loose before removing the belt. If it won't, put a 12mm deep socket on one of the bracket bolts (through the holes in the pulley) and hold it with another ratchet to keep the pulley from spinning.

The pulley is splined and should just slide off once the nut is removed. If it needs persuasion a rubber mallet should work.

Three 12mm bolts hold the pump to the bracket. I think a 17mm flare nut for the pressure hose. It will help to remove the 10mm clamp bolts that hold the lines to the intake manifold so you can move the lines out of the way.

You will want a catch can, or a turkey baster or large syringe to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Not 100% necessary but it helps contain some of the mess.

You will want a catch can, or a turkey baster or large syringe to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Not 100% necessary but it helps contain some of the mess.

Being a GD it should have the external reservoir, not the one that sits up on top of the pump.