Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just purchased a 1989 Turbo RX three-door hatchback

Just scored this on craigslist in Washington, DC:

fCCaPNL.jpg

Only 75,000 miles, and I bought it from the original owner's granddaughter, so I like to think I'm only the second owner. It's a little rough around the edges, but it runs great and the interior is nearly perfect. Even the A/C works. Driving it up to Carlisle, PA in a couple of weeks for the import/kit/replicar show. Curious if anyone has any spares for this model, as I'm missing the trim on the driver's front fender, and some of the rest could be better. Might fix some of the rust that's starting at the fender bottoms and the rear wheel wells, but overall it just needs a thorough cleaning. I've owned a pile of Outbacks and Foresters, but this is my first Subaru from the 80s. It's like going back in time climbing behind the wheel.

The person selling this ride had it on the forum for sale, glad an enthusiast got to it. For the price it was the coolest ride I have seen around here in a while. Glad it got into your hands. Take 100s of pictures of it for us.

Ha! I see that now. I'm more active on subaruoutback.org and subaruforester.org, so I haven't been around much here. She really knew what she had, so I was surprised to see how little she was asking. I emailed her 45 minutes after it posted and waited over a day for a response, and I spent the whole day gnashing my teeth assuming someone else had gotten to it first. I literally begged my wife to let me buy it. Only caveat was that I have to finish parting out the Forester that's taking up half our driveway; I needed some extra motivation anyway. 

The slushbox is a bit of a bummer, but overall I love it. I just couldn't stop smiling while I checked it out. I didn't even ask if she'd take less because it was already underpriced. Already ordered a replacement C/V axle to slap on before taking it out on a road trip. If I decide not to keep it (I'm holding out hope of putting real time and money into my grandfather's 1972 Citroen DS), I'll post it here first, as it certainly deserves to go to an enthusiast. Once I take possession, rest assured that I will upload a pile of photos.

The auto should be a 4eat, not the older 3at, so it's not as much of a bummer as you would think.

Presslab on here has also converted his over to paddle shifters: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/90710-4eat-paddle-shifters/

I would switch over to an earlier 85-86 front bumper if it was my car, I can't stand the fat lip look of the later crash bumpers

There are 2 bolts on each side of the frame rail (directly under the lower radiator hose and directly under the evap canister) that when undone, you can re position the bumper to make it a little more flush... for an easy cosmetic fix.

NIce find! And since it's automatic, makes a perfect 5EAT and EJ255 swap candidate! ;D

I could imagine you can use an ej 4eat as a swap and therefore be able to go the ej engine route with no need for a bellhousing adaptor. you will still need to hybrid a rear diff.

Nice find, especially for the rust belt.