Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Impreza 4eat makes noise in gear

I just bought this autopmatic 95 Wagon and although the transmission shifts fine, it starts to make like a metal brushing sound as soon as it is put in any gear.  No sound in park or neutral.  Kind of a "ZZSSSHHHHHHHH".  It sounds like metal brushing or scraping metal with a lot of surface contact.  Not a concentrated sound like a bearing.  Trans works great otherwise.  If the brake band was out of adjustment, I would think it would shift funny, but I've never had a brake band issue before in the dozen or so 4eats I've had.

Any ideas?

Steve

A member here, Presslab, just recently took one apart where a bearing/bushing in the converter had failed and was making a whining sound similar to a pump going bad when in gear. Upon disassembly the output of the converter was very loose. Replacement of the converter fixed the noise.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the junkyard to get a torque converter and found a 97 2.2 (mine 95 2.2) that already had the motor pulled.  I yanked it out and was out of there in 2 seconds and put tried to put it on and it wouldn't fit the input shaft.  The smallest tip part had 22 teeth vs. 24 on the other one.  I had to go back to JY and yank the input shaft to make it fit.  The inner end is also slightly different but fit ok.  I'll have the motor done tomorrow to see how it works.  My TC, you could spin it with your finger and it would remain spinning for 2 seconds. :o  Most likely the source of the noise.