Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have determand that all the struts on a recently aquired 97 legacy Brighton are worn out. I was just wondering if just the cartridges can be replaced instead of entire strut.Sure would help the pocketbook.

Thanks    AL

i'm not a suspension expert nor know anything outside of Subaru's so i'm not sure what you mean but you get new struts for them.  there's no "cartridge" if i'm hearing your question right....just the cartridge which is part of the strut assembly. 

KYB's are highly favored in Subaru world.  but there are cheap alternatives on ebay for sets of 4.

rockauto.com is cheap

advance auto parts often has high discount codes if you order online - like TRT41 is a discount code for $40 off $100 purchase.  or P20 is %20 off.  not positive they apply to struts since some items are exempt but i think struts count?

if cost is a concern you can attempt the used route.  i've never driven a "new" L or brighton model but they've all handled poorly. probably be fine once replaced but may want to lean towards GT or LSi struts if they're any different.