Ultimate Subaru Message Board

reset ABS code? possible without

I have an ABS Code on in my car and it turns out it will cost about 524 to repair.  There are three codes associated with it.  105, 108 and 107.  My mechanic suggested I repair the right rear Speed sensor but this is out of my price range at the moment.    I found this ( see below)  I wonder if there is any way to turn off the code or reset the ABS error code so I might be able to use cruise control for highway driving this weekend?  Any and all help is appreciated.

thank you.

The 2005 thru 2009 model year Legacyicon1.png and Outback can display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) directly on the dashboard. No scan tool is needed. No jumper wires are required, and it is not necessary to count blinky lights. The codes are displayed in plain text on the instrument cluster.

Trouble codes from the ECM (Engine Control Module), TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ABSCM/VDCCM (ABS or VDC Control Module) are displayed.

This procedure was distilled from the FSM. The English translation in the FSM is not very good, so I have attempted to make it easier to follow. The FSM has this procedure in the Body Section, Instrument/Driver Information, Comination Meter System chapter.

Some notes before starting:

- I believe this procedure will work for all 2005 to 2009 Legacys and Outbacks. However, I have only tested the procedure on my caricon1.png, a 2007 Outback 2.5i automatic.

- I don't know of a way to reset the codes without a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery may or may not work.

- Exactly what you will see depends on what type of display your car has. There are two images of tables below, one for the Normal display and one for the Multi-Information Display that is found on Turboicon1.png models.

The Procedure

Starting condition: key off, headlight switch off.

Steps 1 through 7 must be performed within 10 seconds.

1. Turn key to ON position. This is the normal running position, the click just before starting, when all the lights on the dash come on, but before you twist to START. Don't start the engine!

2. Within 3 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON.

3. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

4. Turn the headlight switch OFF.

5. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

6. Turn headlight swtich ON.

7. Press Trip/Odometer button 4 times. At this point, the DTC display will begin.

8. Turn headlight switch OFF. Not necessary for the procedure, but your display may be dimmed and hard to read in bright sunlight. Besides, why drain the battery?

The DTCs for each module will display in order: ECM, TCM, ABSCM/VDCCM. Press the Trip/Odometer button to cycle between modules. The FSM states that the display will cycle between modules automatically every three seconds if the button is not pushed, but that did not happen in my car - I had to push the button to cycle the display.

Kinda need to know the year of your car, even though the procedure may be the same, the code definitions can change, and so can the reset procedure.

You cannot reset ABS codes with an OBD2 scanner, autozone or the like will be of no help. Unhooking the battery for a short time (maybe 10 minutes) may reset the codes.

There may also be a specific procedure to reset the codes, but we would have to know model and year first.

I drive a 2005 outback 2.5l.  I took in and and got the estimates for things.  I guess I will just deal with the lack of cruise control for awhile.  I have  a number of issues to repair.  L Cv/axle assembly, Steer rack and pinion, Replace spark plus, ABS/Speed sensor wheel hub replacement.  Too bad the speed sensors are on the wheel bearing hub.  So I will have to prioritize.  Thanks for the advice and thoughts.  

the thing with the ABS error code is that it will be off when i start the car but then when I hit about 30 mph it goes on again so i don't know that reseting it will help.  I would just like to get around it for cruise control functionality.  Anti-locks brakes aren't that important until winter weather in whcih case new tires would make a bigger difference anyway.

Thanks All.

Craig

Ok, so you have a sensor that is electrically closed (not shorted or open) which means it still has the proper resistance so the ABSCM knows the sensor is still connected. What it's not getting is a signal that the wheel is spinning, and that is usually caused by metal particles stuck to the sensor or dirt and metal particles stuck in the reluctor wheel that the sensor reads. The wheel bearing on your car has a magnetic ring built into the case rather than the old style reluctor wheel, so it works a bit differently, but the principle is the same. As the wheel spins small magnetic pulses are generated as the magnetized areas on the encoder ring on the bearing pass by the tip of the sensor. If dirt grease or metal particles get stuck to the tip of the sensor it interferes with the magnetic field and can cause the pulse to be erratic or block it altogether.

It's fairly easy to remove and clean off the tip of the sensor. One bolt holds the sensor to the top of the knuckle housing.

It's worth taking a look at the sensor yourself. The shops may just be trying to sell you a wheel bearing.

Cleaning the face of the encoder is a bit more involved but still doable.

Rear wheel bearings on that body style are a bearing and hub unit which is easily removed from the car, just 4 bolts hold it onto the rear trailing arm. To try cleaning the encoder ring you can just remove the axle nut and push the axle cup away from the bearing enough to slip a rag in and wipe around the back side of the bearing where the ring is located. If its not easily accessible the bearing can be removed from the trailing arm in order to be cleaned.

• Like 1