Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Transmission swap. From a 2003 Forester to a 2000 outback will it work?

I am trying to figure this out for my brother he has a 2000 outback and the tranny died on him.

its a manual and I have a line on a 2003 subaru forester manual for only 500 bucks with 70k on it.

Anyways what I am wondering is will it work before i go out and buy the hunk of metal.

his numbers on the outback tranny are TY754VCACA

I dont have the numbers off the forester yet

Thanks guys would not have asked but I couldent really find the info anywhere else.

Should be pretty much the same. Forester has a slightly better 5th gear ratio IIRC but other than that it should bolt right up and be fine.

Are the gear ratios not an issue? if not, I would love to get my hands on a later compatible model, my 5spd got 167k on it, I would love to overhauled it, but I don't know which would be the best option.

Kinda depends on what's wrong with it. There were a few issues with the MTs around the 99-01 years.

All of them have mainshaft bearing issues, from 1990 right up to current. The mainshaft roller bearing just doesn't get enough oil and will wear out, especially if the gear oil isn't changed every 30k like its supposed to be.

Driving gear ratios (1st-5th) don't matter. The Forester trans typically has a slightly lower 5th gear ratio (.78:1 vs .825:1), which will give a slightly lower highway engine RPM.

The one you need to look out for is the final drive (differential) ratio. If the trans FDR doesn't match the rear differential FDR you get torque bind because the rear driveshaft will be trying to turn a different speed than the front pinion shaft. Eventually it will destroy the center differential, but not before you have an interesting (bumpy/jerky) ride down the road.

Outback and Forester both have 4.11 FDR in the Manual trans, so as long as you stick to those two you should be good to go. A Legacy typically had 3.90 FDR manual, which will give problems.

Kinda depends on what's wrong with it. There were a few issues with the MTs around the 99-01 years.

All of them have mainshaft bearing issues, from 1990 right up to current. The mainshaft roller bearing just doesn't get enough oil and will wear out, especially if the gear oil isn't changed every 30k like its supposed to be.

Driving gear ratios (1st-5th) don't matter. The Forester trans typically has a slightly lower 5th gear ratio (.78:1 vs .825:1), which will give a slightly lower highway engine RPM.

The one you need to look out for is the final drive (differential) ratio. If the trans FDR doesn't match the rear differential FDR you get torque bind because the rear driveshaft will be trying to turn a different speed than the front pinion shaft. Eventually it will destroy the center differential, but not before you have an interesting (bumpy/jerky) ride down the road.

Outback and Forester both have 4.11 FDR in the Manual trans, so as long as you stick to those two you should be good to go. A Legacy typically had 3.90 FDR manual, which will give problems.

Awesome, so which year is compatible after 01? I need to know cuz my tranny may be humming on 1st gear, is a really low hum, but I got good ear for mechanical noises, do you think it may be the differetial?

• 4 months later...

I pulled a manual transmission from a 2003 Forester and the only difference was the cv axles. Transmission will fit the Outback but you will have to use Forester cv axles. This change started in 2003 Forester. The end of the cv that goes into the tranny is different. Wheel hub ends are the same.