Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RH drive donor Legacy?

Hey all I am gearing up for the ever famous EJ swap into my Loyale.  The donor car I found is a distance from my house so I was wondering if anyone had insight about using a right hand drive legacy before I trek all the way out there to take a peek... 

I know most anything can be accomplished with a little enginuity.  With that being said-- is there any component mounting/ wiring issues that could come from using RHD compared to a LHD donor for my loyale?

Thanks,

Depends, what year model Legacy?

Some have the engine wiring plugs on the front left side of the engine, some are at the back.

The body wiring are different LHD to RHD because of the underdash fusebox and position of the steering column, but the engine compartment layout is identical except for:

1. brake booster & master position which only effects the vacuum line length. RHD version have a long hard line running across the firewall. The vacuum feed is on the LHS of the engine. Pretty much irrelevant for a conversion.
  2. Aircon line routing. RHD versions have all the aircon lines running on the LHS of the car, not around the engine bay like LHD versions (makes removing the engine/gearbox so much easier than what you guys have to put up with :P ) Again, irrelevant for a conversion as you need to adapt the 2 flexible lines going to/from the compressor on the engine only, then leave the rest of the Loyale A/C system in place
  3. steering rack postion. Again irrelevant because you keep the Loyale stuff
  4. heater box. These are not quite in the middle of the car and so vary slightly LHD to RHD. But again irrelevant because you'll be keeping the Loyale heater box. It's just 2 rubber hoses. The position of the coolant feed on the engine is the same for both LHD & RHD.

Basically, the engines are the same, the engine bay layout is the same for your purposes.

You're going to have to do custom wiring for the engine to run, so just make it to suit.

• Like 1