Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need new rear rotors for my 98 OBW. PLease offer opinions on which way to go.

Advance Auto: Bendix $48.88

NAPA: United $64.00

CarQuest: Rabestos $37.08

Subaru dealer: Subaru $75.00

Thanks for the help.

The prices I showed were for the better quality, higher nickel content rotors. All the parts stores had $20 rotors too. Is there a huge performance or longevity difference between the low cost standard ones and the better quality? Should I look at it like if I buy the cheap ones I can replace them again and still be below the cost of the better ones?

I went with the EBC rotors from the Tire Rack. They stop well even after a long commute in stop-n-go fast traffic. The way I look at it, brakes are a relatively cheap investment in keeping your car out of someone elses trunk.

You should be able to get Brembo rotors - OEM for Subaru - at a reasonable price. There is something to be gained by buying better quality rotors, but remember that a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. Experience can be an expensive thing to gain in this field!

I would recommend Brembo if you need something dependable, and don't want to take any chances. Mintex or EBC grooved discs if you want that, AND improved braking performance.

All rotors rust, but the cheap ones rust faster and the rust is far more coarse. This leads to faster wear on the pads, and occasionally pitted rotor surfaces - in which case the rotors must be replaced.

Don't pinch the pennies here, these are your brakes after all :-)

I dought your getting a good deal from the dealer becasue, just in genral there prices are twice as high for as good of quality part as a parts store would sell. www. subaruparts.com has oem sube parts at a fair discount, if you decide to go with oem.