Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some 2008 New owener questions.

AHhh cant edit title, i swear im not an idiot   OWNER* hahah

1. Is it possible to add if so is it difficult to add a navigatoin unit to a non Navi car?(aslo the reverse camera)

2. how do you tell if you have a trans cooler? (i plan on doing soem towing i have a bass boat)

3. Do you know where i can find a list of differnces in the years? I know the 06-07 body is differnt than the 08-?? but what else is there differnt also is the 08-09 or 10 the same? if not what differnces are there

4. any common problems i should be ready for? just hit 102k miles.

5. There is somthing loose? or something that makes noise in the rear compartment when i hit bumps. know of any thing it may be?

6. Any other info on anything i may want to do with the car would be great.

Edited by im faster

AHhh cant edit title, i swear im not an idiot   OWNER* hahah

LOL No problem the loosest nut in my car is the driver!

1. Is it possible to add if so is it difficult to add a navigatoin unit to a non Navi car?(aslo the reverse camera)

I am not sure what vehicle you have so I'll give you some general opinions...As far as a GPS is concerned if you are talking about integrating it into an existing system (like a B9 Tribeca) I would think you can.  I remember back in the day the wiring was already there but the components were not.  You will probably have to have your BIU programmed for it too and that will probably run you about $45 per program if you need multiples.  So between the cost of the system, installation and programing of the BIU you will be into it for several hundred $$$ I would think.  So could you yeah, is it worth it only you can answer that.  Food for thought though...If you have a smart phone get yourself a google mail account and download the google earth gps app and buy a $20 holder for it while you are on the road.  The camera you can do.  I have not done one myself but I know people who have done it.

2. how do you tell if you have a trans cooler? (i plan on doing soem towing i have a bass boat)

Get under the car and look for two pipes running from the gearbox to the front.  If you find them you have a tranny cooler if not you don't.

3. Do you know where i can find a list of differnces in the years? I know the 06-07 body is differnt than the 08-?? but what else is there differnt also is the 08-09 or 10 the same? if not what differnces are there

Again not knowing what vehicle we are talking about this is very difficult to answer.  Just too many variables.  You may want to try a google search like "whats the difference between a 2008 and 2009 subaru (what ever vehicle and model you own)?"  and see where that leads you.  

4. any common problems i should be ready for? just hit 102k miles.

Check the owners manual for when the timing belt should be changed if you are within about 10k miles of that number change it.  If you take it to a Subaru dealer to have the timing belt changed they may also recommend changing the water pump.  They are not necessarily trying to rip you off.  They are there and the pump is off already, you are essentially getting a new water pump put on with out labor charge. So yes they are selling you a new water pump that you may or may not need, but you would be buying piece of mind.  Kind of an ounce of prevention... If you have a 6 cylinder or WRX it will have a timing chain which you won't have to worry about.  I would make sure that whatever the owners manual says to do at 100K miles gets done.  I am also a very strong believer in synthetic lubricants.  They are far superior and have served me VERY well since the late '80s.  So if the 100k service calls for an oil change, tranny or any other lubricant flush replace it with synthetic.  Lubrication is no place to be stingy.  This is especially important since you will be towing.  You may also want to flush the radiator.

5. There is somthing loose? or something that makes noise in the rear compartment when i hit bumps. know of any thing it may be?

First thought is the spare tire, jack or lug wrench is not secure.  If that is not it look at the mount for the muffler(s), there is a rubber bushing that sometimes comes off and you can get a rattle from that.  Generally the volume of the noise will give you an idea of what it is once you start looking back there...get under the car and start poking around a bit looking/feeling for something loose.  When you find something shake it a couple of times and see if the sound is close.  If you tink it is look to see if there is the same thing on the other side of the car and if so check for differences between the two.  It sometimes helps if you think you have the culprit to show someone else what to do to make the suspect noise then you go sit in the drivers seat with the door closed and have them shake/rattle it.  If that is the sound you now know where to start to fix the problem.

6. Any other info on anything i may want to do with the car would be great.

Ok cool I own a 2006 Tribeca.

I purchased mine used and love it!  I am not a mechanic...far from it, but I sold Subaru's for over 5 years so I am pretty familiar with the brand.  The H6 has a timing chain so you are good there.  Here is an idea of the 90K and 105K stuff that should be done.  Your kind of in the middle on miles so there may be some overlap.  Not knowing what the previous owner did or worse didn't do it's best to look back to the last maintenance and just have it done.

90,000 miles

• Inspect                        Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
  • Inspect                        Camshaft drive belt
  • Change                       Engine oil Premium 5W-30
  • Install                          NEW oil drain plug gasket
  • Change                       Engine oil filter (Genuine SUBARU filter)
  • Perform                      NCM Computer Scan (check for hidden OBDII codes)
  • Perform                      Charging System Load Test
  • Perform                      Battery Load Test
  • Change                       Engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
  • Test                             Coolant Hydrometer Reading Noted (Boiling / Freezing Points)
  • Install                          SUBARU cooling system conditioner SOA635071
  • Change                       Fuel Filter
  • Inspect                        Fuel system, lines and connections
  • Change                       Air cleaner element
  • Change                       Spark plugs
  • Change                      Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
  • Change                      Automatic transmission fluid
  • Inspect / Change        Brake Fluid
  • Inspect                        Disc brake pads and discs
  • Inspect                        Front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joints
  • Inspect                        Brake lines and check operation brake system
  • Adjust                         Parking Brake
  • Inspect                        Clutch system (if applicable)
  • Adjust                          Clutch cable if applicable
  • Perform                      Tire - rotate and balance
  • Inspect                        Steering and suspension system
  • Top Off                        Power steering fluid
105,000 Miles
  • Change             Engine oil Premium 5W-30
  • Change             Engine oil filter (Genuine SUBARU filter)
  • Inspect            Engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
  • Test                 Coolant Hydrometer Reading Noted (Boiling / Freezing Points)
  • Top Off               Antifreeze
  • Top Off               Windshield Washer Fluid
  • Install              NEW oil drain plug gasket
  • Inspect               Disc brake pads and discs/ Front and rear axle boots and axle
  • Inspect               Brake lines and check operation of brake system
  • Adjust              Parking Brake
  • Top Off            Power steering fluid

The key to longevity in a Subaru is oil changes and regular maintenance...they last FOREVER!

Hope that helps!

i'm faster,

I've owned 4 OBW's, one from each generation, and the middle two both had that rear end rattle you describe. In both cases I eventually tracked it down to the center seat upper shoulder belt anchor in the headliner compartment. I never had the need to use the center seat belt, and found that the shoulder belt was improperly stowed in the headliner. Pull yours out and try reinstalling it to see if that's your noise source.

Good Luck!

• Like 2