Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Composite HG with frankemotor (ej22e heads, ej25d block

MilesFox

So i have a forester engine for the ej25d block, and just got a set of phase 1 first gen legacy ej22e heads, dual ports. I also got a set of ej22e composite HG's.

I have alredy done a frankenmotor using he cometic hybrid MLS gaskets. Considering i have all the parts, but don't have the 200 bucks for cometics, soes anyone see a problem withusing the composite head gaskets on the ej25d block. I will be using the ej22e heads with their original head bolts. And i will also have to port match the water jacket.

Pros and cons? Opinions? (have i asked this before?

MY car has some farmer built straight pipe and won't pass emissions, and i have a catte mid pipe to use(with dual port header), but the engine in my car is single ports, and i could put a dual port engine together to swap in sooner than i can find a single port header.

Edited by MilesFox

I would try this for my own curiosity. You are welcome to the results if (when) i do.

I fi remember right, the rule to apply is use the gasket that goes to the head. I can see where this gets confused using MLS with phase 2 engines. Both the ej25d and the ej22e are open deck blocks. Now, do the phase 1 dohc engines in the overseas markets WRC era 90-95 use composite or MLS?

Edited by MilesFox

I would try this for my own curiosity. You are welcome to the results if (when) i do.

I fi remember right, the rule to apply is use the gasket that goes to the head. I can see where this gets confused using MLS with phase 2 engines. Both the ej25d and the ej22e are open deck blocks. Now, do the phase 1 dohc engines in the overseas markets WRC era 90-95 use composite or MLS?

NO you need a gasket for the block.  The fire ring on the 2.2 gasket will be too small for the larger 2.5 bore.

That's the problem....you need a gasket with water ports that match a 2.2 head, and a bore size to match the 2.5 block.

Or drill the gasket to match the 2.2 heads