Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally got plates for the Brat

After over of month of tinkering with this car, I finally was able to get plates for the Brat.  I have been failing for HC emissions, but today got it close enough to take it to the state air quality and get a one year waiver.  It blew 260 HC and needed to be 220.  Here is what was done in stages that maybe will help if anyone else is trying to pass a car for state emissions.

Baseline-

I took the car in right after I bought it to see how bad it was, I knew it was bad, the exhaust smelled like raw fuel

HC was 3800 at idle, and 1000 at 2500 rpm.

I changed the oil, installed spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, installed a junkyard carb,replaced fuel filter, thermostat and replaced leaking vacuum hoses.

HC was 1800 at idle, and 180(passed) at 2500 rpm.

For the third test I did a bit more, replaced EGR valve, rebuilt junkyard carb, installed new coil, had the distributor rebuilt, and fixed more vacuum leaks.  

HC was 800 at idle and 240(fail) at 2500 rpm.

For todays test, changed the oil again(it was super dirty), retarded timing to 6 degrees and threw in some ethanol.

HC was 260(fail) at idle and 160 at 2500 rpm(pass).

This has by far been the most challenging of the 20 or so cars that I have owned.  But at least now I can enjoy driving it.  

Oh yeah thanks USMB members for all your input and useful information, without this sight, I would have sold it for a loss.

• Like 1