Ultimate Subaru Message Board

single din cupholder?

Hey I havent pulled the stock radio out to install the new one but I was looking into the cup holder situation, and found these on ebay 

$(KGrHqVHJF!FG4TPdjgCBRvrh5d1Dg~~60_3.JP

I'm fitting a scosche panel in there anyhow, so I can cut it to accept a second din if it'll fit. is it going to fit under the radio? or over? I know the tape deck is narrower than the radio, but don't know if the mountings are as well. also rear space could stop it. anyone know? i'v seen smaller half din ones from corollas, civics and ford tarus' that might work too if I can find one. (tarus has a coin holder like some civics but can be easily cut off)

cup%20holder%2001.JPG

I will assume you are talking about the 3rd Gen GL or Loyale.

the half din size might work better, generally the scosche kits have a, EQ knock out slot below the radio you could easily fit that lower half din cupholder in, not sure off the top of my head how much room is allowed between the shifter and the radio, might be something to consider before you go and do all the extra work.

Edited by tractor pole

i have an EJ cup holder sitting aside to see if i can fit it in my XT6 which, it's not a perfect or simple fit, take a little fabricating, but there does appear to be enough depth. 

careful with drinks - 95-99 legacy's and impreza's have cupholders just below the heater controls and they are notorious for ruining the control panel and getting into stereo components below when drinks are spilled.  it's a mess and a terrible place for a cupholder.  i would totally put one there in my XT6, hot coffee on my dash instead of my #(*!)*$&()$$$ when it spills is much better.  

the legacy cupholders have two screw holes facing you where the ones you posted picture of look better as they're attached via perpendicular holes which would fit inside the stereo holders if the width works.

Ah okay. Yea I was going to see if I can flip it so the stereo is on the bottom and put the cupholder up for just that reason. The install kits bolts are symetrical so it should mount upside down. And the new stereo is short front to back so I might have room. Its sd and usb, no cd so it takes up about a third less space

having the cup holder on the top would keep the wires from getting caught in the cup holder, just be careful about full open top cups and cans spilling into your new radio.

I say go for it, Make sure and take some pics, the thing that annoys me the most about my wagon is no cup holder,

Would be a nice on to do a write up on.