Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater issues

To start off thank you to anyone who replies to my problems with and educated or informative reply. Just swapped out my heater core and the buttons to chane it to defrost or  heat that are controled by vaccum lines do not work. I think the problem is the lines that come in on each side by the kick panel. Does anyone know exactly where these lines connect. Thanks for reading.

Did you check the vacuum line that clips in on the left side of the heater/blower body, between it and the a/c evaporator? Rubber line comes through the firewall, and at the heater/blower body a skinnier, harder plastic line connects to it and runs from there up along the main harness under the dash and into the center console area.

Or, possibly, dislodged or damaged the line in the engine compartment? Rubber line runs from a t-fitting near the throttle body, goes to passenger strut tower and a vac canister, then into the firewall.

Edited by SmashedGlass
  • Like 1

As for the dash lights, are you talking about just the illumination lights, or all of the lights (including the ones for the various gauges)? It's possible you have a bad illumination control switch ("dimmer" the rotary controller to the left of the steering column). Try swapping it with another one, or jumper the pins in the plug and see if you get lights then. The illumination controller is basically nothing more than a rheostat controlling the voltage supplied to the dash lighting.

*I'm going to assume you already checked all of the fuses in your fuse box.

Edited by SmashedGlass