Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb questions

I've got a guy here that I work with that I am slowly converting into a soobaholic. He just purchased a very straight 85 gl, with a d/r m/t. The previous owner said his daughters boyfriend decided to play backyard mechanic and take the carburetor apart to clean it. Upon "reassembling" something didn't go right. Runs like crap was the best description the previous owner could give.

I work at a wrecking yard and our computer system shows that an 85 for whatever reason is all by itself in re-guards to the carb. I never would have thought that, and have my doubts about how true that is. We have one for an 86, would that one or any other year work? And is there possibly anybody out there who may have a known working one that this gentleman could purchase.

I have nothing for carbureted soobs in my collection everything I have is 89 or newer.

Thanks in advance

I've got a guy here that I work with that I am slowly converting into a soobaholic. He just purchased a very straight 85 gl, with a d/r m/t. The previous owner said his daughters boyfriend decided to play backyard mechanic and take the carburetor apart to clean it. Upon "reassembling" something didn't go right. Runs like crap was the best description the previous owner could give.

I work at a wrecking yard and our computer system shows that an 85 for whatever reason is all by itself in re-guards to the carb. I never would have thought that, and have my doubts about how true that is. We have one for an 86, would that one or any other year work? And is there possibly anybody out there who may have a known working one that this gentleman could purchase.

I have nothing for carbureted soobs in my collection everything I have is 89 or newer.

Thanks in advance

I would compare the '85 and '86 side by side if possible or take pictures of one and compare it to the other one in person.  They are probably not that different (if at all) and it may be something as simple as a different electrical plug design.  Since the '85 was the first USDM model year for that vehicle, they may have made some design changes to the carb to correct deficiencies.  I would suspect that the '86 would work just fine and may even be a better carb if it is actually different than the '85.  You could also try converting your coworker into a Webered soobaholic.

So is it a hitachi then that is most likely currently on it? If I go into our computer and look up a carb for say, an 84 it actually asks you if its a hitachi or a weber. In order for him to go to a weber, would he then need one off of an older (84 or so)? And forgive my ignorance, but what does the USDM stand for? Most all the research and reading I've ever done on here only pertained to my generation of soobs. Again thanks for the info

USDM means its an american spec rather than a spec from a  different country.  I believe it stands for United States Domestic Market.  JDM is the japanese version of the same cars, so right hand drive and other differences.

there was a weber/carter carb that came stock on these cars, but its not the weber people talk about.  the weber you want is a DGV or DFV, which did come stock on some cars but not subaru's.  the DGV's are still in production and you can find them used, but you will need an adapter to mount it. 

Any EA82 carb will work.

They are all Hitachis, and the same model with a few tiny differences in jetting and secondary opening angle but all the same and interchangable.

It is likely that the carb on there is hooked up wrong, if they capped the air bleeds (common....people think it's a vacuum and cap it to "delete" emmisions stuff but actually needs to be open with a small orifice in the hose that feeds it)