Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Zinging kind of noise on passenger side & reduced power

2005 Outback XT (2.5L) with 85,000 miles on it.  Today, I noticed a kind of "zinging" noise from the front end of the car (passenger side).  I thought maybe it was the turbocharger giving me problems as I'd just come down on of our roads around 60mph (100kmh for my Canadian friends) but hadn't engaged the turbo (put the pedal to the floor).

As I headed round the corner and onto one of the slower roads, I noticed the "zinging" sound (kind of like a power steering pump makes when the fluid is cold or the bearings need replacing).  I also noticed that as I pressed down the accelerator, the speed didn't increase as quickly as it had done not 10 minutes before.

When I got it home, I checked the fluid levels as I know this is sometimes the cause of similar sounds and problems but found them all good.  I then checked underneath and found that the passenger side axle felt loose in my grip - almost sloppy.  When I checked the driver's side it felt firm and secure with a titch of movement - not at all like the passenger side.

The manual didn't tell me much at all and it was sons who suggested I take a wheel off to see if the axle nut was loose.  This, I'll do tomorrow morning.

In the mean time, has anyone got any ideas on what it might be?

December 29th:  I took the front wheel off and checked the axle nut.  Everything is tight but there is still (what I consider) quite a bit of play in the passenger side axle.  After checking everything and putting the wheel back on, I took it for a test drive.  It seems there is NO front wheel drive at all.  It starts about 18 mph (less than 20km) and gets louder the more I press the accelerator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gord

Edited by go_mo_bryth