Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo wiring help

Hey All,

I thought as long as I have the dash out, out would be a good time to get the wiring ready for the stereo I'm going to put in. The car came to me with no stereo, and of course the PO had cut off the stock wiring plugs. The car in question, is an'89 DL wagon. Now I have three manuals by Haynes and Chilton with wiring diagrams in them. Two of them barely acknowledge that Subaru put stereos in cars, and none of them seem to know there was a DL model. 

So. 

What I need, is a diagram or color codes as to what the wires in the harness are for. I found one diagram online that seemed to be alright (it was for a '90 Loyale) until I realized it didn't show the solid green wire in my harness. 

At any rate, if you have the info, or happen to have the stock stereo plug, any help would be appreciated. 

John

If there is a brown/white wire also then the green most likely goes with it for the front right side speaker.

On the other hand the green wire may be the radio memory power lead. Here is a picture from another poster. It shows a green or white wire is used for that power connection.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143860-common-grounded-speaker-wires/

The DL will not have a rear channel to the rear doors. I discovered this expecting a speaker plug in the door but it wasn't there (in the door). It may posssibly be ther ein the B pillar, but this depends on how many pins or wires there are on the stereo harness. I don't think the DL even has the power window and lock in the main harness, where a GL would even if it did not have that accessory. Even a legacy brighton with manual crank windows does not have power lock and window in its main harness.

as you would wiring a stereo in a 4 speaker GL, The DL will still have a common ground speaker. You can simply connect the front channle fro the stereo and be done, or gang the lefts F adn R + and the rights F and R + together, connect them to the L and R on the car harness, and connect the L F and R _ together, same with the right, and connec them the left and right _ on the car.

Thanks Guys!

i will have to study on this. i'm kind of hopeless on wiring...and thanks for the link to the other thread.

i just find it strange that there's a green wire in the harness which is cut like all the others, but doesn't show up on the wiring diagram. it's a solid dark green...

john

Get a light tester probe. They are about $1.99 and are just a small bulb inside a pick. Hook the ground wire to something metal that eventually bolts into the chassis (most metal brackets under the dash work). With the car completely off probe the wires till it lights up, this is your battery wire. With the ignition in the run position probe wires till it lights up. Check that it will light up with the key on and that will be your ignition wire. Hook the alligator clip to a bare section of the battery wire and prob wires to find the ground wires (almost 100% they are the black wires). There will be a couple of them, the largest will be the ground for the stereo.

Might just be easier to run new speaker wires