Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 DL 2wd alignment issue

Just took a 900 mile road trip and my rear tire went flat on the interstate. I noticed the inner edge of the tire was worn almost to the wire. I had the car loaded down with maybe a few hundred pounds of stuff, but I've noticed before that the right rear of the car sags a little even when it's empty. The rear shocks are both new. I haven't gotten around to jacking it up and having a look, I've just been too busy.

THE WHEEL BEARINGS ARE GOOD.

I jacked it up, grabbed it and jerked around on it... nice and tight and it turns freely and quietly. So my question is, what are the "common" causes of rear alighment issues with these cars? I know that it being a trailing arm design the arm could twist over time, and also it could be a worn bushing but a friend of mine who had a 2wd hatch said his was the same way. Right rear was saggy, just like mine. Thanks for any input.

Hi,

It could be just that you need to adust the toe and camber.

The lower the car sits the more negative the camber gets.  Mormally people have a problem with positive camber after lifting the car.  In your case because the rear is a bit saggy, you are (probably) experiencing negative camber.

You can lift the car up again by adjusting the torsion bar.  This bar has spines on both ends that you can disengage and riengage in different places to either lift or lower that car. Grab a Haynes manual to see how it is done.  I have done this before and it is not hard.

You can also adjust the camber by fitting or removing shim plates on the inboard end of the torsion bar. Again have a look at the manual.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the toe.  You can either gaet a mechanic to do it for you or you can have a look your self by setting up a string line around the wheel base.  The toe can be adusted by moving the inboard ends of the torsion bar forward or backward.

Excesive wear on the inner edge of the tire could mean negative toe.

Cheers