Ultimate Subaru Message Board

multiple issue with 1990 subaru loyale non turbo

I have a a non turbo 90 Subaru loyal coupe 4 door, non turbo. Its been having many issue with starting and just recently overheating. When its cold its difficult to start it, you just hear a clicking noise but no turn over, it only happens when its cold, once it starts it runs fine (until just the other day) . the other issue i have been having is after the engine gets warm, like after a 20 min or more drive and turn it off, it will not start ,back up until about 20 to 40 minutes after, it will just turn over but wont start. I even made a one day trip a few months ago from California to Seattle area of Washington with no issues. But just a few days ago it started to over heat. I recently replaced the engine about a month ago with a good engine (issue was happing before and after the swap) I have reaches the alternator, coil, thermastat, coil, brand new battery, cleaned and checked all cables and ground, and new starter. Yet the starting issue still persists. And just a few days ago my car has been overheating and dieing, yet when I open the hood there is no steam or smoke I can touch the radiator and the cap, and when I take the cap off it spews outwater but very quickly and the water is only mildly hot . And cools off quickly, I'm at a loss here.

hi,

as for the overheat thing, what you describe sounds like the thermostat is not doing right,  i also want to say, buy a thermostat from subaru, the aftermarket ones are inferior to original,  just not as good,  and have a smaller opening for the fluid flow.  did you get a 2 row radiator, (and are your fans working) , 1 is the belt driven fan but the electric fan is important too. it can not work because the switch in the radiator is bad, disconnected, or relay not working, or just not plugged up ,  check everything..   the usual radiator replacement is a 1 row but if all is proper with the motor it should do the job, but a 2 row is really the  best one.    be sure the radiator is topped up, these cars tend to trap air in the system and not fill completely first time around.

as for the starting,, the coolent temp sensor for the fuel injection is usually an issue on them,  corroded connection or a bad sensor and connection.  also all hoses that connect into the air intake system , need to check for cracks , disconnects,  anything that can cause a vacuum leak.   the starter click thing may be the starter switch, its built in the starter but rebuilds sometimes don't fix them, if it continues to just click sometimes that's  where i'd look.