Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 GL

I just picked up a 1985 subaru wagon. Ea82 motor. Man. Trams., Carb. AC. It ran but needed head gasket. I pulled motor and replaced. Just about have everything back together. I was wondering if there is a way to eliminate some of the excessive number of vacuum lines, etc. Seems like a bunch of stuff for a fairly simple car.

Most (a few?) of the vacuum lines are for emissions, many people do a Weber swap onto the ea82 and a large majority of those lines are deleted. I would guess you could get rid of many even with the stock carb, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can chip in with specifics.

You might try searching for weber conversions on the site to get an idea of what can be removed.

EDIT: Maybe I'll learn to keep my mouth shut about things I don't know :P

Edited by ystrdyisgone

Many of those lines are air bleeds for the carb.  They are larger than the vac lines.  maybe pinky size (10mm)  Attached to a valve with 3 bleed hoses, and a vac line and one cap.  It's on the passenger side in front and a bit below the air cleaner over the thermostat housing..These stock hoses have small "orifice" pellets in them that restrict each tube a certain amount.

You need these.  If you cap them you'll run rich.....If you open them completely you can run lean or just stall from lack of proper vacuum through the emulsion tubes. 

If the car runs with the setup as is......Like none of the Air bleed lines are broken and the car runs well......Then leave it alone. 

Start taking off lines and it affects mixture upon throttle up, and if you don't get the restriction of the air bleeds correct you'll have mixture issues throughout range and idle issues at idle.

A few of the lines are actually vacuum lines. 

Only hoses I would get rid of are the large one that goes off the side of the EGR.....Plug that one and cap the Small vac line that goes over to the canister ont eh passenger side that big hose went to.

If you want.....look up the Quarter trick for pluging the reed valves that come off the exhaust.

Otherwise it really is best to leave the "Air control Valve" and all the hoses from it to the carb bleeds alone.

Been running the Weber on my '85 ea82 wagon since 1992.   That's 22 years.   I can park it in the pasture for 3 months, walk out there, put key in, set electric choke, turn key and vorruummmmm.

Ya, it's a good swap.  I would drive that car across this country tomorrow.