Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Spark Cyls 1-2 ignitor/wiring issues!

If you still have the timing covers off check the reluctor fins on the crankshaft and make sure none of the tabs have broken off. This has happened to some folks with this kind of problem. If they are okay then it would seem the ECU has to be at fault.

Yeah....at this point I'm gonna say it's gotta be the ECU.

That's what the FSM flow chart would lead to with all the wiring being tested.

WAIT!  Did you test for any continuity BETWEEN each wire and the others.....and maybe check to ground too.  There should be none.

Some other tests you could make to verify the ECU as the trouble is to compare DC voltages on the two wires going to the ECU while the ignition is turned on, using ground as reference. See if they are the same readings. Also check the two wires with just the ECU connected to the wires and do a diode function test referenced to ground and swapping the probes to check both directions of the current, with the ignition switched off. See if those readings compare to each other. They should be close to the same readings if things are good inside the ECU. 

OK wheel here's an update.

Bought a coil. Didn't help I don't think.

BUT....

If I take a test light, put the alligator clip on the POSITIVE of the battery, and touch the probe to the YELLOW/BLUE pulse wire at the ignitor, then remove it (essentially putting 12 volts on that wire then removing it) cylinder 1/2 misfire goes away! But only for 2-3 seconds, then those cylinders fail to fire. Touch 12v to that wire, then remove, misfire gone for 2-3 seconds.

What in the hell!?!?!?!?!?!

Edit****

The longer I hold 12v to that wire, the longer the misfire stays away. I held 12v to that wire for about 20 seconds and it ran great for like 35 seconds!!!

Edited by subenoob

That's the signal wire from the computer which should have about 1-3 volts on it when the engine is running.

By supplying voltage to the pin via the test light, you're charging a capacitor either in the ECM or the Igniter which is then opening and closing the ground circuit for the coil. (The igniter controls the ground side of the coil) The longer you hold it there the longer the capacitor charges. Once the capacitor discharges, there is no power to open and close the ground for the coil, so you get no more spark.

You'll want to check for voltage on that pin at the igniter. If there is less than 1v, check voltage on that wire at the ECU. Should have between 1 and 3 volts. If you have no voltage at the ECU, wiggle the connector while testing.

If still nothing, turn the engine off, unplug the ECU connector and check for corrosion on the pins.

If the pins are clean, probably need a new ECU.

Voltage on the yellow/blue wire at the ignitor is at around 0.06-0.09. It kinda fluctuates. Hard to believe the ECU is bad from the last time it was driven (6 months-ish) to now from just sitting.

I also have noted the door locks going crazy at random times. Not all the time but sometimes...

How do the two voltages of the two wires compare to each other? If the ECU is okay they should be close to equal.

I would suspect dirty switch contacts for the door lock issue. The driver side is usually the best suspect.

• 2 weeks later...