Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Now what the heck is in that spark plug hole?

Job is done.  Thanks for the help.

Finally wiggled the plug wire off, 97 Leagacy, 2.5

Now I try to put a plug socket in there and it wont go in over plug, it appears to have a rubber insulator over the plug.... (who designs this stuff?)

How do I get that insulator out of the way and what socket fits those plugs.  I tried the pull thing with long nose pliers, dental pick etc.. or socket goes over all that?  No idea... 

Thanks again.  

Edited by Indrid cold

Well, isn't that special.  

The boot, (for lack of better term) has plastic shank with plug clip on end (up inside)  Looking in with mirror, It's as if an insulator was part of the plastic part but was left behind when I pulled it out.  The plug boot assembly came out whole, but left insulator or something behind so I can't slip socket over.  

So, back to pulling and tugging?

Well, back out side.  

oh, thanks for the reply.  

Edited by Indrid cold

Probably the rubber insert from a spark plug socket that got left behind by the last person to change them.

What I do is take a coat hanger, and bend over a tang all the way back on itself....about 1/4"....hammer it flat and tight kinda like a spear end.........Lube it up with WD and try to shove it down inbetween the spark plug and the rubber sleeve.....if you can get it all the way to the bottom past the lip, it will catch as you pull back out and remove the rubber sleeve.

I have a socket with a glued in liner specifically for doing 2.5 DOHC plugs......Make sure the socket you use to install the new plugs has a liner that won't come out.

Hey Gloyal,

Appreciate the info.  I sprayed silicone spray into the plug area, got long nose pliers and able to slide in, grab and pull.   I did find something curious, Silicone adhesive around the rubber insulator left in there.  So, possibly that is what is to be used or kid who last worked on it didn't realize the difference between Silicone adhesive and Silicone spark grease.  

I don't have a Haynes manual so flying blind.  Sorry for questions but just trying to help the kid out.  Of course a pretty girl shows up so he is long gone and I am doing this by myself, but hey, hormones happen. 

And I do understand what you are saying about about the glued in liner in socket,  not sure what plug size for 2.5 DOHC plugs, will see what I have, but if I lose the liner it can't be as tough to get out as these stupid little inserts.  

I do like the hanger option. 

Thanks all.  Back outside. 

Any other info is greatly appreciated.  One step at a time here.  

Edited by Indrid cold

Compression test complete.  Wasn't bad once I got all the right tools in a row and plugs out.

It appears some kid used silicone rubber, not silicone grease when he put the insulators and plug wires in.  I have never seen silicone grease turn to a rubber, so thinking the previous owner didn't know the difference.  That is why everything just kind of "STUCK" in there and it was a rip and pull event.  

Also, no anti-sieze on the plug threads so I had to baby them out all the way.  Back and forth, a shot of silicone spray up in there, one pull back and two forward, trying not to tear the threads out of the block.  Performed test and put it all back together, kid drove away with a smile knowing it probably isn't a head gasket.  

Will post issue in another post after I do a search.  

Thanks again for all the help.  EJ-2.5 feeling the love.  

Edited by Indrid cold