Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high idle, grinding noise when accelerating

First off, my timing belt was replaced in August, my fuel pump (though O'Reily's sold me a smaller one than my car requires) was replaced in December, my bearing and front seal was replaced on my transmission in January and I also had my starter rebuilt in February.

When I start my manual 5 speed 1993 Subaru Impreza L wagon, most of the time the idle stays high for the first hour or two of driving after a night of being parked. If I rev the engine in neutral, sometimes that will cause the idle to go to normal. I'm wondering if there is anything anyone thinks may be causing this?

Also, when I'm in first just starting out and I've tried giving more gas or less gas, there is what sounds like a sheep saying "baaahh" which sounds like one of the gears in the transmission. It sometimes also makes this sound in the change into second gear, however I've noticed my idle tends to be high at these moments as well. But its happened when the idle is low as well. I regularly check all my fluids when I put fuel in my vehicle and they seem to keep at a reasonable level. My transmission is running with full synthetic 75w90 gear lubricant, as I recently researched to be best for my Subaru. Any ideas on what I can check or what this horrible sound may be?

Any and all thoughts are extremely useful and I appreciate and thank you in advance!

The sound might be loose heat shields on the Y-pipe or Cats.

High idle could be stuck IACV or vacuum leak. Sometimes also caused by a bad Engine coolant temp sensor. You need a scanner to see what temp the sensor is reporting to the ECU.