Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with my 2.5 TS wagon need help Gents

unknownjerimiah,

From reading your post, which makes no sense in many areas, since you haven't completed any thoughts that you originally started with (Reread your second sentence????) , you are in over your head on many fronts.

Your car is 14 years old, and unless you have other cars to drive besides the Subie, and more than just a little disposable income that is suggested by your post, you have no business modifying this car. You obviously don't understand the minefield your are walking into.

Save your money for the things that are really needed, oil changes, brake jobs, timing belt replacement, new tires, insurance, etc., and wait until you are further along in life where you can really afford to be putting money into a toy. And if it goes down hill ... it won't be of any consequence then. You don't come across as being there yet, not by a long shot.

On top of that, if you're going to modify a Subie, you need to start with a WRX at least, as there aren't any real aftermarket performance parts for the lesser Subies.

Sorry to be so blatant, but you asked for opinions.

On top of that, if you're going to modify a Subie, you need to start with a WRX at least, as there aren't any real aftermarket performance parts for the lesser Subies.

Sorry to be so blatant, but you asked for opinions.

Plenty of people on here modify older subies. And some not so old.

Using a 5x8 utility trailer should be well within the cars capability. I do with my 99 Forester, it will haul 1/2 ton. That is easily handled by the 1 1/4" receiver hitch.

Beat me to the link, a good resource. Going taller on the tires means just that, not wider, as the standard wheel offset is already too close to the strut. Correcting the speedometer signals will be needed to get it right, and in some cases the fuel injection, etc may require it. 

Using subframe kits is a two edged sword - you get the body further into the air, but the engine, trans, CV's, and differential aren't any further away from the ground, so no real ground clearance is gained. It's a lot of work and effort just to keep the CV's straight, which is the disadvantage of them all around. 

The real answer to lift is portal hubs, which are exotic and expensive. If someone would offer them factory besides HMMV's, I'd be in line at that dealer almost regardless of make. Otherwise it's about $1,200 a wheel to get them.