Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery Nut in the PCV hoses, 85 Brat

Okay, I'm about phoenix-like back from the electrical dead, and by gosh lots of things are nice, new, clean, adjusted, etc.  etc.

So, I'm checking everything and every noise. Cleaning hoses, outside and in.. and something's come

up that's a bit of a mystery.

A large nut-ish type thing in the joint of the elbow of the hose attaching to the passenger side valve cover. Water-tight. In fact the barrel was full of water. of sorts.

What reasoning for this? Should I remove it and see what occours? Not into stunts, but I'm sort of into running the car as stock as possible.  I don't see this as having fallen into the hose, it's in there good. In fact I'll probably just get another elbow joint the same size and swap it. Unless there's a good reason..

post-33010-0-17150900-1397460256_thumb.jpg

Edited by kayoteq

What condition is the internals of the engine in?

good compression ?

bad compression ?

It could be that the engine had a great deal of blow by, so they blocked that pipe to stop some of the oil and gases venting into the aircleaner.

Try it without the nut and see how the engine runs. If it is good and no blow by, then great. if not then you may need to look at  what is causing the blow by. (if excessive)

I would be concerned about the "water" as well was it water or clag glue looking?

TOONGA

Edited by TOONGA

I bypassed it with some hose juggling and I'll see what shows up in the filter area. 

I've been doing a lot of tuning up and timing so all my baselines are gone, so it didn't seem to be any worse or better from my perspective. 

Not tested compression.. I guess I should, someday.

Edited by kayoteq