Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 subaru gl spfi no fuel spray

Hi everyone new to the forum but have had a few subaru in my life.

I got this beater with a heater to go to and from work..

Well its a 88 subaru gl spfi

Started it at work and it seemed to be running weird.

Pulled onto the road and had no power at all.

Then bam it woke up. Then fell on its face again. Back and forth for 15 miles.

Till it finally hiccuped and died.

Won't start now and looking down the tb I see no fuel spray.

With injector unplugged I got Continuity to ground on one wire and then nothing on the other (car harness side)

2 ohms resistance and continuity on the injector between the 2 wires

Starts with starting fluid. Pulled fuel line off just after fuel filter and it comes out like a stream

Any ideas on what happened?

plug in the green connectors under the hood up near the bottom of the windshield, drivers side. turn key to "on" position. the injector should cycle every few seconds.

make sure all your clamps are tight for the intake and all electrical connections are clean. No vacuum leaks? I know this probably isnt fuel related but without knowing the history and condition of the car i have to go with the basics.

use maf cleaner to clean the Mass Airflow Meter if you can. follow the directions properly to avoid damage. 

worst case is I have a throttle body you can have for a six pack of Hamms, I live near Tacoma

plug in the green connectors under the hood up near the bottom of the windshield, drivers side. turn key to "on" position. the injector should cycle every few seconds.

make sure all your clamps are tight for the intake and all electrical connections are clean. No vacuum leaks? I know this probably isnt fuel related but without knowing the history and condition of the car i have to go with the basics.

use maf cleaner to clean the Mass Airflow Meter if you can. follow the directions properly to avoid damage.

worst case is I have a throttle body you can have for a six pack of Hamms, I live near Tacoma

Idk if I have vacuum leaks. Car ran fine then went to start next day and it ran like crap. Then went to not running at all. I figured it was the injector but could be harness or ecu also. You can hear the fuel just recirculating like no pressure regulator

I hate to ask the age old question.... But have you checked the distributor rotor to see if the set screw has backed out...?? And actually try to rotate it, * by hand* if the screw is backed out it will turn freely and screw will be at the bottom of the distributor.

Edited by superpoo93
  • Like 1

Tried different coil also. No power at either leg. I can hear a relay above the ecm clicking alot when it cranks. Idk If that's normal

Did you try moving the wiring harness around a little with the key in on position ? Like I had mentioned before my engine wiring harness connector was not fully secured, and when I moved the wire loom back and forth I would hear clicking from under the dash and in engine compartment. I thought it was a bad wire, it would somes start and then die....or not at all. I would move wiring again and it would start. Until I pushed plug fully into position ... I had no spark and if I remember correctly no fuel, also.