Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl w/ 87 xt motor... need help to finish

i think i need to do a crossmember swap to clear the turbo exhaust.

And the gl was a carbuerated naturally aspirated and i will need to accomodate the fuel injected turbo motor of the XT. I have the XT wiring harness complete...

Any suby gurus care to shed light or even hire out to help complete this car? Willing to hire the right mechanic as i need a commuter asap.

Where are you at?

I would do this swap for you.........better to do EJ swap but whatever...your choice.

When you say you have all engine wiring....do you mean ALL engine wiring from the ECU in the trunk all the way forward to the engine???

the whole wiring harness from the xt car, engine and chassis . all of it.

i am in central ca near stockton.

willing to consider other options to get this car running but this is the motor i had and it is in the car already, 95% done and just needs wiring and a crossmember from what i remember from the last time i researched it...

would someone link me suggested reading so i can learn my terminology. what motor came with which car of what years..

thanks

• Like 1

The XT engine harness separates out, so you can simply splice this into your loom.

Most people cut a piece out of the engine cross member to clear the exhaust & weld a curved piece in. Done properly, it's just a strong as factory

Yes, turbo crossmember needed. Or modify NA for pipe clearance.

For engine management, you could run the XT engine harness to the ECU, and either find a place in the engine bay (least recommended due to elements) or stuff it under the dash and just run the required power/grounds to the ECU. Sort of like 2 systems. One for EM and the other for body control (dash, windows, lights, ect).