Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition conversion?

You'll still need the rotor with that. Probably cheaper anD easierer to use a stock Subaru electronic distributor which does just the same thing.

Or to go distibutorless, use one of the kits that use the Ford edis modules such as megajolt

Agree with getting a stock breakerless electronic Subaru distributor (it still has a rotor though) although not sure / never done a conversion myself.

It make sense as a Subaru one off an EA 81/82? should bolt straight in?

Not sure if ignition module is in the distributor or an external separate box. someone else will know.  Have forgotten what EA82 one was like on Leone.

Never had any issues with these. and are far  superior to old breaker style distributors  with better continuous smoother running /  timing without breaker/condenser deterioration and corresponding performance / starting ability.

I still have  the old breaker type one in my Brumby - it runs harshly not as smoothly as my Leone ever did with breakerless one - should upgrade mine :P.

Had an 86 Leone ( GL / Loyale)  wagon with one of these breakerless electronic types in it, owned it   for 14  years (23 years old - til 09 when I sold it)  never had to touch the ignition system with it in that time, apart from replacing spark plugs. and checking the ignition timing out of curiosity twice - never had to adjust it

Never replaced the leads either - probably should have but no starting / running  issues.