Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have not had this car long.  75,000 miles on this the clock.  Will run great for a while then starts running on two cyl.  Let it sit overnight, runs good agiain for a while.  I checked plugs,  Not too bad but clearly too old and need replaced but have to wait till payday.  (two weeks)  Having codes pulled a local NAPPA)

She has failed valve cover gaskets, the O rings for plugs leak, plug wire boots oily. Some valve cover bolts were not very tight, tightening didn't seem to help.      Do we think  likely culprit is oil shorting out plugs? 

I will throw new plugs and wires at her on payday, what are my odds of success? 

Good chance that will take care of it. New plugs always make a difference.

If you dont fix the valve cover gaskets the new wires will just get ruined by the oil. Plan on doing the gaskets at the same time.

Do I need to make sure to purchase OEM plug wires and valve cover gasket kit?   And If I may, I would like to trouble the hive for suggestions on favored online sources for these parts.  Thank you kindly.

Fel-pro gaskets work well. NGK wires work just as good as OEM.

Amazon usually has good deals on parts. I use Rockauto.com often. I get part numbers and search them through google. Be sure to look at shipping charges because sometimes they can be pricey.

I've also had good luck on eBay, especially with their Fast 'n Free shipping.

Fel-pro gaskets work well. NGK wires work just as good as OEM.

Amazon usually has good deals on parts. I use Rockauto.com often. I get part numbers and search them through google. Be sure to look at shipping charges because sometimes they can be pricey.

I've also had good luck on eBay, especially with their Fast 'n Free shipping.

Thank you Fairtax.  Turned out plugs and wires I can get locally from my small parts house.  Dropped by today and ordered, will be here wed.  Gaskets, I'll ask about when I pick up wires and plugs.  (Getting short on dough)