Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Frankenmotor inquiry

Ok guys, I truly apologize for this, I know this has been covered time and time again and I have done some searching, gathered a lot of great info but there are still things I am missing. What I have so far

2.5 block and internals

2.2 heads and everything else (intake, wiring blah blah blah)

bolt it in, put 91 octane in it and shazam, somewhere abouts 180 horses.

use the 2.2 timing belt system.

What I am missing is exhaust, trans, clutch stuff like that. I have a 96 Legacy Outback 2.2 with a five speed. it has 300,000 miles on it and still runs well, but I am preparing for a failure. It is my daily driver and soon to be my autocrosser.

My real questions are, will my 2.2 five speed bolt right up? What do I use for a flywheel and clutch?

Can I use my exhaust manifold? 

When I bolt my 2.2 heads to the block what head gasket do I use? Will all my 2.2 head inards work?

There also seems to be some issues with which 2.5/2.2 phases will work. I plan on using my 2.2 heads from my 96, what 2.5 block and guts should I be looking for?

Again I am sorry to ask you guys to cover this again, if I missed a build thread please link me to it and I will bother you no more. I just could not find a step by step build thread!

2.2 heads on a 2.5 will give you way to much compression, it will ping and knock. And with the small valves will you won't be getting all the power of a real 2.5. If you have a good 2.5 block you can get 2.5 phase 2 heads pretty cheap or buy a core motor with a bad bottom end, then swap the heads and intake.

Are you sure about that? That goes 100% against everything else I have read on this engine build. Have you done it before? I have been reading from people who have built the engine multiple times.

2.2 heads on a 2.5 will give you way to much compression, it will ping and knock. And with the small valves will you won't be getting all the power of a real 2.5. If you have a good 2.5 block you can get 2.5 phase 2 heads pretty cheap or buy a core motor with a bad bottom end, then swap the heads and intake.

People do it all the time. It may ping on regular, but will be fine on premium.

Can't make phase 2 heads work in a 96 without aftermarket engine management. Cheaper and easier to use the phase 1 2.2 heads, intake, and wiring that he already has. Phase 1 heads will provide better torque.

Use your 2.2 flywheel. From what I remember there were differences between the 2.2 and 2.5 starter, and you use the flywheel that matches your starter. In your case, you already have both, so just re-use them. Have the flywheel machined flat when you do the swap.

Use a 96-99 2.5 clutch. The 2.5 clutch pressure plate has a higher clamp strength. This is the only difference between the 2.2 and 2.5 clutch.

Clutch disc dimensions, spline count, TOB size, pilot bearing size are all the same.

Use Y-pipe/header to match the heads. Single or dual port. Stock pipes work fine. There any many options for dual port headers in Internet land. Inferno Fabrications makes stainless single port UEL headers for these.

I did mine and was not impressed and had to use premium. Its would pi ng real bad on 87 . My outback was also an auto tho and im sure that sucks up more power. I was really expecting a night and day difference and it didnt happen. Im building a 2.2 right now that will have a set of delta torque cams in it and hopefully with that and a 5 speed behind it I will be happy. You could sell me those extra heads and Intake you have and make me happy happy happy.

There are options for cat-back systems and high flow cats of you look around. You may have better luck searching for listings for Legacy GT for 96-99 year range. The pipes are basically the same as Outback.

Most WRX stuff will work but may need lengthening.

WRX headers will not work since WRX was turbo. Any headers and high flow cats listed for an N/A Impreza 93-08ish will bolt right up, assuming you match single or dual port.

Ah ha! Thanks! That is also what I needed. Thank you, once again, big help guys. Is there any word on gas mileage with the frankenmotor?

Also, which head gaskets do I use? Do I match to the heads or the block?

Edited by Blair

Auto like I said I used the regular 2.5 multi layer gaskets so compression was kinda high. Had to use premium and didnt really feel that it was worth the hassle and time and money spent. I think I thought it would have been closer to a wrx power wise but it wasnt