Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carter fuel pump for 82 brat

i just purchased a carter fuel pump for the brat.  it should be in the mail at the end of the next week.  i think i need to replace mine.  i havn't taken it off and tested.  however i can't keep the engine running on the brat.  theres plenty of spark.  i am almost positive the issue is in fuel delivery.  i may also pull the gas tank and have it cleaned.  there are a bunch of wires that look severed that go to the tank so i'll probably have to repair that stuff too at the same time.  i know that this stock carb can also be the source of the fuel delivery issue but i'll handle that at a future date.

i have used carter mechanical fuel pumps over other common off the shelf brands and hope that this electric pump performs as good as the carter pumps i have bought in the past

my cv axles also just arrived.

Edited by snacky

Check the fuel level in the carb sight glass before condemning the pump.

If it is in the middle,pump is OK.

The last Carter pump I installed died an early death.

The Nippon-Denso replacement is still going strong.

I think I would prefer a Chinese bottom dollar no name ebay special  to a Carter.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone please post a picture of what a factory 82 subaru brat electric fuel pump is supposed to look like?

and can someone please post a picture of what the fuel pump looks like installed?

i've never owned a foreign car like this and i don't know what it's supposed to look like.

i crawled underneath my vehicle to begin removal and there isn't a fuel pump anywhere to be found!!!  so i bought the car with no fuel pump...

Edited by snacky

ok i just realized the carter was not oem style.  i just bought a oem style pump.  cost me $90 usd.  trying to return the carter to hopefully get about $20 refund after restocking.  i don't know how the heck my subaru was running.  i'm thinking that the gas cap doesn't have a air tight seal and that this along with a functioning fuel sending unit was just enough to get the engine to start and idle for a short time.

Edited by snacky