Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so I recently did a 5 speed swap in my 96 legacy ls. Codes I am currently getting is ,p0403,p0441, and lost my p1101 and gained a p1702 and p0505

To sum u up on what I've done is: put 5 speed tranny and rear dif from 96 impreza in, I used auto inhibitor switch plug ran 9-10 to reverse switch, spliced 11-12 together cuz I used starter interlock relay from donor car and installed it under dash as it would in actual manual car, ran pin 1 (pin 82 on ecu)to nss and grounded other side of switch. I originally used pin 4 for other side of nss cuz its a ground from ecu but kept getting p1101 so I just grounded it to chassis now I'm getting p1702 and p0505. I added pin 81 and grounded it (mt identifier)

I used manual intake manifold w/o egr and all the sensors none of my vacuum lines changed besides egr stuff being gone.

I tried manual ecu but it was throwing codes for fuel pressure sensor and pressure solenoid and vapor canister my car had none of these. my sending unit doesn't have pressure sensor on it and my car isn't wired for it and I have charcoal canister up front so no pressure solenoid or vapor canister behind right rear tire like the donor had so that ecu didn't work good at all. idle was messed up no power ran like crap put my ecu back in and motor runs good besides these codes and a slightly low idle. Before I changed the grund from ecu to chassis for nss I only had p1101 and p0441 for codes

I appreciate any and all help or input.

You had EGR to begin with, you need to put the original intake manifold with the EGR back on. That's the only way to get rid of the EGR code.

You also need to connect The neutral position switch on the trans to the ECU. IIRC There is a specific pin it has to be connected to, it cant just be grounded. That's giving you the Idle and VSS codes because the ECU thinks its in Nuetral all the time. It has to see that the trans is in gear, then it knows you're controlling throttle and speed. If it thinks the trans is in Nuetral it tries to set engine speed to idle and can't because the car is moving.

It is okay to ground one side of the neutral switch.

It's just the one pin at the ECU that either sees ground or not to know when car is in gear.

FWIW, the neutral switch is not connected to the starter interlock.....or it should not be anyhow......neutral switch is just for ECU to know if car is in gear.....not a starter lockout.

Must put the automatic speed sensor in the MT trans.

Fairtax may be correct that you will need to put the EGR manifold back on to get rid of that code.

96 LS, that would be an ej25d car correct? If so you won'tgget rid of the egr cel without using an ej22 ecu.

I've done this exact procedure to my 97 L, I had none of the cels that you've got. As far as I can tell I did everything you did.

I used a manual speed sensor in mine as well.

Edited by 86BRATMAN
  • Like 1

Ok first off it had 2.2 to begin with. Starter interlock isn't hooked up to the nss like someone thinks it's under the dash hooked to clutch switch and ignition like its supposed to be and is in the manual models. I don't have to use egr and auto intake manifold. When the car is in manual mode it's knows to forget about it. I put 300 miles on it after I first did the swap and had 2codes had p1101 (nss) and p0441 evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow. And I used manual vss from donor. It's the same as auto besides it has a pigtail off it because the vss is farther back on tranny then the auto, ask Subaru they will tell you the same they have same part numbers, besides last letter after the dash which tells u which plug is on the vss.

When I changed my nss wiring which I only changed the ground side of it (other side still goin to pin 82) grounding it to chassis instead of the ground it uses in from ecu in stock wiring harness which when I did this got egr code back instantly, and eventually the p1702, and the iac code, when i go back to how I first had nss wired and reset ecu, the egr code instantly gone and then after about 75 miles cel comes on for p1101 and p0441 which I have no matter how anything is wired and had that code come up when the auto was in it still along w a faint gas smell coming from rear end of my car, put new fuel and vacuum lines back there and it passed smoke test and I can fill my tank let it sit for days n no moisture or gas on it anywhere so there def no leaks in tank itself.

Both ecus I have are for ej22 one came from my auto and other came from a 98 manual Both leggy as well. Your guys thoughts on using the auto tcu or manual tcu. I was told take it completely out since I don't care about cruise already took it all out of my car I never use it cuz I never on highway w this car, and my abs is gone as well cuz I hate abs period it's more dangerous then helpful in my opinion.

86 bratman what exactly did you for your swap

Edited by 96legacyls

Ok first off it had 2.2 to begin with. Starter interlock isn't hooked up to the nss like someone thinks it's under the dash hooked to clutch switch and ignition like its supposed to be and is in the manual models.

I offered the information as a "For What It's Worth"

I did not know how you had it wired up......

However........You somewhat imply that it's locked with the starter when you refer to it as a "nuetral SAFETY switch"........as though it somehow kept you from doing something that is "unsafe".....like starting the car in gear........some vehichles DO have this type of interlock....but I can't think of one.

So you see it should be at very least just the "ns".......not "nss".........It is simply a Nuetral switch.......to inform the ECU.........nothing "Safety" about it.

Anyhow.....I would say that the NS should be grounding to the engine grounding....not the chassis.  The factory setup it joins the main ground lines for the ECU....which all tie to a bolt on the intake manifold.  Grounding to the body may be causing a volt drop that the ECU doesn't like or recognize.  Difference in voltage will cause pin 82 to not drop to zero.

Fwiw Gloyal you need to read my posts before u imply or say anything cuz you would know how i had it wired up if you read it and I never said interlock relay was hooked to "nss" and if you have a manual car u have a starter interlock relay look in your fsm under starting system u will see it And how it is wired, on another note all grounds end up grounding to chassis eventually, yea bolt on Im is grounds follow thos wires into the main loom and they tie into cplsensors and the grounds to shock towers and guess what the engine and tranny also ground out to the chassis as well so I think grounding it to chassis is fine, oh wait where does the battery ground out the chassis. Or just look in your fsm for grounds n check em all out n where they go.

Oh and btw the way I originally had my ns hooked up even the ecu from the manual car would throw codes for egr and nss and that car had no egr so explain to me why it would throw codes for something it never had.

Yes it's a neutral safety switch. Your an idiot who thinks u know everything when in reality you don't have a clue.

I cut the wire from the the harness about 3 inches out from the ecu plug, ran new wire directly from the nss to where it was cut.

I still haven't tried putting my tcu back in to see if cruise works, because honestly I don't care lol. I never used it as an automatic so I don't see me doing it now, and I despise abs as well.

I cut the wire from the the harness about 3 inches out from the ecu plug, ran new wire directly from the nss to where it was cut.

I still haven't tried putting my tcu back in to see if cruise works, because honestly I don't care lol. I never used it as an automatic so I don't see me doing it now, and I despise abs as well.

I did the same. And the reason we can't use 1-4 as the nss wires is cuz they run to tcu then to ecu so in our case bratman w/o tcu, ecu never gets a signal, this is why when I hook the nss directly to ecu and grounded to chassis the p1101 goes away. That's why when I used manual ecu idle sucked and was getting codes that I shouldn't have at that time cuz there was no signal for being in neutral or not so iac was acting up n throwing everything else off.

Since hooking the nss up directly to ecu I think my original ecu has malfunction in it somewhere I'm pretty sure. I put the ecu from the 98 5 speed legacy in and all codes are gone (put 200 miles on her today) but the ones for the vapor canister and fuel pressure sensor which my car doesnt have Car runs way better and idles normal. I will deal the cel for those codes until I can get my hands on 96 ej22 ecu that doesn't have the fuel pressure sensor, vapor canister, etc.

I love burning bridges. Lol report me block me warn me ban me I really don't care

Yes it's a neutral safety switch. Your an idiot who thinks u know everything when in reality you don't have a clue.

OK......I am getting the feeling you have been offended somehow........I never said I knew where your switch was hooked up....

I said FWIW.......meaning I didn't know just suggesting IF you had it hooked to interlock that would not be correct...OK?

Now let me set you straight on a few things....Not because I want to have conflict or treat you like a dummy.......but to share ACCURATE information which is my only motivation for even being here.  I do not care personally about you........But your Subaru and all other Subaurs I have real passion for, get it?

1)  The ECU harness does NOT ground to the chassis....not to the strut tower.  ALL ECU grounds and sensor grounds for the ECU go to the ENGINE INTAKE MANIFOLD.  I strip harnesses to bare engine running items. I have done dozens.  I have FSM's.....I read them like classic literature.

2)   Also the battery grounds directly to the engine......with a smaller wire to the chassis but that one is always corroded.  Do a volt drop test from the Engine block to the Chassis...you will see at least a 1/2 volt.

3)  Your posts are so flippin confusing and horribly punctuated that we can't really tell what the hell codes you are experiencing and what current state you have it all wired in.  If you had never mentioned the Interlock.....or called it a Nuetral SAFETY switch....I would not have mentioned anything about it......but since you did....I tried to clarify your jumbled mess into an accurate piece of information for this forum.

4)  what the hell are you talking about the TCU????  all wiring to the TCU is parallel not series......you do not need to have a TCU in place to ground the ECU.

So........yeah.......good luck.