Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shocks for 1991 loyale wagon 4WD

Cmosfet

Hi all

Bean, the 1991 red wagon needs shocks baaaaad. Any recommendations? I read that kyb rears and monroe fronts are good. I know the fronts need compressed with a tool but do the rears? I am thinking of replacing top hats too. I think all are original with 220k on them. Probably pull Everthing out and have a shop to the work and i will put back. Thanks in advance. Car is running much better thanks to this forum...will post pics as soon as i get a hosting account.

yes, you will need a spring compresser to replace the shocks.   The whole assembly is called a strut (ie., shock with a coilover).  Front and Rear will require the springs be compressed.   The job is a bit dangerous ... so be careful if you do it yourself.   Have a shop quote you a price to do all 4 on the bench.   They have wall mounted spring compressers which are much safer.   Tophats ... you can just replace the bearing in them after they have been removed from the vehicle.

Read up on the subject.   The fronts have an inside/outside orientation.

Ah thanks. I was not sure on the rears, i did my older wrx wagons(2004) rears when i had it and did not need a spring compressor. I could not find a writeup for this loyale yet. Will search more. Yes i will remove whole strut assy and take them to a shop. Found some great deals on struts. Thanks again.