Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual range bearing noise?

tedbull

Ok, so I swapped out my single range on my 90 loyale and swaped in a 5sp dual range. My pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing had 40,000 miles on them so I put them back in. The throwout bearing felt just fine. Now that I have the dual range in and running I have a noise. It sounds like a "box of rocks" or a rattle. It is not a consistant noise but is present contantly if that make sense. I mean that the noise gets loud and then goes away for a second and then returns. At first I thought it was an exhaust rattle. But when I press the clutch in the noise goes away. It seems like its a bearing but would it be throwout or input? Or could it be broken teeth in the trans? I do not notice the noise getting worse with rpms. I only notice it in neutral at idle. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the trans. The trans shifts smooth and drives fine. 4 low, 4 hi, and fwd and shift fine. But its sounds bad.

WTF?

Could be the input shaft bearing in the trans.

Change the gear oil again and add some lucas with the new stuff.

If it gets worse, or you find large amounts of metal in the fluid......tear open the trans, and replace the large bearing on the rear of the upper shaft.

Pilot bearing in the flywheel?

That would make noise with clutch pedal depressed  (enigne spinning, input shaft still)

the noise he describes is when clutch pedal is released in nuetral. (engine spinning, input shaft spinning) which in that state the Pilot bearing is stationary since input and flyhweel are turning toghether

Thanks for the advice Gloyale. I will drain the fluid and inspect it for metal. When I installed the trans there was a big clump of shavings on the drain plug magnet. I will try a drain and refill and add a quart of lucas like you suggested.

I will search the forum for D/R 5spd rebuild threads but if you know of a good one please Link it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a couple weeks back I drove the wagon a good amount. Came home and drained the trans fluid right away. Fluid looked as good as new and no debris or shavings in the oil or on the magnet. I put 2.5 quarts of good 80-90 and then a quart of lucas. It is definitely in the trans because when I fired it up the bearing noise was very loud until the new oil started to re coat everything. Same story, the noise goes away with clutch pushed in. The noise does seem to lessen and or go away after things warm up. But on a cold Idol the noise makes me cringe. I wheeled it this way and other than the noise I have no issues right now. I am not looking forward to pulling the trans apart, but I guess it is inevitable. I imagine I should source the bearings from Subaru. Should I replaced just the small and larger input shaft bearings? Anything else I need. Can I use Fuji Bond to seal the halves back up?

Edited by tedbull

You should replace the large bearing, and the side output seals and probably the hi/lo shifter seal too.  Small bearing is not ussually the issue.

Fuji bond or permatex "the Right Stuff" works even better.

Any chance you have the part numbers handy? When splitting one of these trans is are there any suprises or are they straight forward?