Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing stock starter on 89 gl (ea82t) with 95 legacy starter

I had used a 87 gl manual tans starter in a 96 impreza automatic. If anything, the terminal for the cable is clocked differently where your cable may be just a bit long or short, but works anyway. 

There is a stud below the starter with a nut. Remove the upper bellhousing bolt. The ground cable will remaon on the bracket, and the bracket comes off with the bellhousing bolt. Slide the starter off the bottom stud. let the back of the starter pitch down for clearance. Don't forget the small waire on the back of the starter terminal. And don't forget to reconnect it upon installation :)

you will need 14mm and 12mm tools. The nut below the starter may be 14 or 17mm.

For safety, remove the negative battery terminal from the battery before performing this work.

Thanks so much for the response - if I'm seeing this correctly, I have to bolts to deal with; one underneath and one on top. The one on top is bolted through the entirety of something (engine block?). Is it an issue to take this 6"+ bolt out? Thanks again!

You are correct. IT is really as simple as you interperet it. I would say the only trouble with taking the 6 inch bolt out is it will interfere with the battery lead to take it out entirely, but it comes out with enough wiggle room to remove the starter. It is not necessary to remove the battery lead to remove the starter, but may as well since you are replacing it. Otherwise, it is a pretty straightforward job; 2 tools, 2 bolts, 2 wires

Your reassurance was super helpful - starter in and happy. Word to the wise, though: the new starter would not reliably go past single click. After some deep head scratching, I reinstalled it with some very thin washers underneath at the bolts and it starts like a dream. I shouldn't have any problems with this, me hopes.