Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proposal: Image/CADD/Schematic compendium source

There is a wealth of info in these forums, most of what can be imagined has been covered in one way or another.

But what would be great is if the older subarus, especially due to thier being fairly simple vehicles could be fully documented in a specific refernce section foreach basic type?

What I am talking (writing) about, for example(s) is that I would love to have straight-on reference images of the bottom of my style of Brat, taken from dead center, without angle, with good lighting, etc. I could use such to help figure out/design the unorthodox exhaust system I want to build, and maybe even make a CADD drawing, even if only in 2D.

Similarly, high quality/definition photos, taken straight-on, in profile would be great for experimenting with paint jobs in Photoshop and for other purposes. - These can be found through Google image search, which I have done, so maybe no need for this, specifically, - but you get the idea?

Next would be enhanced wiring diagrams, Vacuum diagrams, etc. and eventually a full basic 3D CADD file, with matching picture files for those who don't do CADD, to help people with all kinds of customizing and projects, to see what can fit, where to route pipes, tubes, wires, etc.

It could be a virtual compendium, a nearly full digitalisation of the older Subarus.

I am tempted to do some of this myself, especially some basic CADD, but as with many of us, my time is limited, and I have so much to physically do with my Subaru that I could not possibly do it all myself.

However, if those with specific knowledge, documentation, etc. contribute a little here and there, then the sum of us all could make quite an online, publicly available reference work.

Eventually ther could be various files, from/for various programs, graphics, etc thata person could virtually add a brush guard to the front of thier Subaru to see what it would look like, or to help to see how a part or engine from one type of subaru might fit on another, or be adapted, etc. Ifsomeone had the right software, photos could be digitized into CADD or other 3D programs, and then rendered into incredibly detailed, accurate and easy to see images.

Again, I know that much of this info is available in one form or another on USMB, mostly in forum text and a photos here and there, scattered about the various threads, but if there was enough interest, we could start building a 'Virtual Subaru' reference compendium centralizing and organizing all that knowledge and experience into an easy to find, easy to understand, and fun to play with online entity.

Imagine 3D models of each basic type of Subaru, and reference links to what various people have done with them.

Although this is just a forum, mostly textand pictures, it could for the basis of something great.

Imagine seeing what an engine with turbo, or a super charger, or twin carburetors would look like?

You could also see what size and shape of hole you would have to cut in the hood to accomodate something.

Maybe even a sheet metal pattern thatcould be printed, and used as a template to cut sheet metal to make a cool looking hood scoop, or how to fit an already existing hood scoop from a more modern Subaru.

For another example, I have some experience in Virtual Reality, and there is a free, basically state-of-the-art online Virtual world called 'Second Life'.  With the right info, files, etc. a Virtual Subaru could be made, and you could even drive it if you wanted to.

- Just a basic splash of possibilities, concepts and ideas, out of which some middle ground of possibility might arise...

What do you say? is anyone with graphics capabilities/programs interested?