Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Rear Wheel Bearings

Hello, I've been lurking in the forums for some time now and have always been able to do a search and find an answer.

Currently I'm broken down on a road trip and need some help. The left rear wheel bearing was growling and I was able to limp it to a garage to work on. I have everything taken apart, and am in the process of putting the new wheel bearings in. When I slid the new race into the hub, there is between .10 and .20 of play. I'm thinking I have 1 of 2 problems:

1) I have the wrong wheel bearing. The one I have is listed as for 79-newer subarus. 2.28" diameter outer. Part #513056 or variations of it for Timken, National and Duralast.

2) The old race spun and expanded and that is why it still needed to be pressed out.

​I don't have a lot of options as I'm broken down in a friend of a friends garage. 

1) take it to a junkyard

2)make a spacer for the wheel bearings I have.

3)find a new swing arm assembly (impossible in this part of idaho)

Can anybody tell me if the 79 wheel bearings are different? It seems like the race should be snug at least in the hub. ANY and all help is appreciated. 

1979 Subaru DL Wagon 4x4 1600. 300,000+ miles.