Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 2015 Legacy, with Navigation Infotainment System. In order to download apps, I was told I needed a smartphone, my flipphone won't work. My question is can I use my home computer to link to the navigation system to load the apps? If so, where can I get info? Or do I buy a new iphone?

Just bought a 2015 Legacy, with Navigation Infotainment System. In order to download apps, I was told I needed a smartphone, my flipphone won't work. My question is can I use my home computer to link to the navigation system to load the apps? If so, where can I get info? Or do I buy a new iphone?

Welcome to the USMB.

You will likely need a smart phone with data plan of some kind.  Or you may be able to use a tablet PC/ipad with bluetooth connection.  I guess it depends on whether the infotainment system needs a particular app to load apps to it.

Well if you are hell bent on keeping the flip phone (I understand) there is a workaround.

"Rent" a smartphone from WalMart (14 day return policy) and use the wifi component to download anything you want without having a data plan (or any plan for that matter activated).

Once you transfer the apps or whatever it is they require via bluetooth etc, hop into your new Subaru and return the phone to WalMart with a "thank you very much" and you will be back to the world of the flip phone.