Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam options for 2001 forester

SOHC NA EJ25 2001 forester. Looking to get some camshafts for it and have been considering delta 1500 regrinds however I have some concerns about my camshafts being welded on. Two questions: Has anyone had any troubles with going this route? Cam failure? Im interested in hearing from people who have had them on for a while. Second question is there any other options for cams besides regrinds?

There are several other companies that do Subaru cams but they're typically very expensive and aimed toward the turbo engines. (WRX and STI) Google can find them.

Delta has a good reputation, I wouldn't think twice about running a set of camshafts welded by them.

Lots of people run delta 1000, 1500, 2000, turbo regrinds with great success. You engine uses the same cams as a sohc 2.5rs, do a quick google search and youll see how many people run them. I'll be running their sohc turbo cam at some point in the future.

i don't need to google search i have research this topic for over a year, my issue isn't how many people have used them. Although the mass amount of people using them would be a good indicator of quality, I don't like to make assumptions. Most people post about getting them or putting them in various applications however I cant seem to find anyone saying they've had them for any extended period of time which is what Im most concerned with, longevity of these cams.

it's been about 10 years since the first set of Delta Cams that i installed, that car is still in use by a forum member here.

the prevalence is low, it's an assumption either way.  it'll be based on this thread or google...something. there are people with delta cams who have installed them, driven them a decade, moved on, and no longer use Subaru forums.  there are large numbers of people who post their own issues and never reply to others like this one - an anecdotal thread is limited in it's ability to capture rare issues like this. if someone does report a failure, then you have to weigh whether it's an outlier or statistically significant with small time data points like this.

• Like 1

How many reports of failures have you found during all of your searching?

Generally if people are dissatisfied with a product they heard about or bought online, they will complain about it online.

People are also much more likely to start a new thread or update an old one if they have a problem with a part they installed.

it's been about 10 years since the first set of Delta Cams that i installed, that car is still in use by a forum member here.

the prevalence is low, it's an assumption either way.  it'll be based on this thread or google...something. there are people with delta cams who have installed them, driven them a decade, moved on, and no longer use Subaru forums.  there are large numbers of people who post their own issues and never reply to others like this one - an anecdotal thread is limited in it's ability to capture rare issues like this. if someone does report a failure, then you have to weigh whether it's an outlier or statistically significant with small time data points like this.

10 years? Thats the kind of information I am interested in. As you stated people move on and stop using the forums so finding this information is very difficult. Tons of threads of people getting or modifying things but the thread dies before you find out how the mod worked out especially long term function. Not everyone is diligent about updating information. To date the only negative comments about Delta was a few (very minor) issues in communication or shipping but that can happen with any company. Nothing negative about their product itself which is a very good sign. I know they have been used a long time and Im not trying to bring up a dead subject I just don't like basing my decisions on popularity. Your right it is an assumption either way, Im most likely going to do it but I will be suspicious for at least a little while after I have my engine running again. What Im particularly nervous about is this is my first full engine rebuild so i just want to get all my facts straight instead of slapping it together and hoping it works. Thank you