Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof rack type and brand suggestions

Hey all,

Im moving cross country this summer and am going to buy a roof rack to do it. I was told to buy a thule, so ive been looking at squarebars and aeroblades. I know that the aeros cost more since they are aerodynamic and thusly get you better gas mileage, but is that worth it if im going to have a big ol' pile of cargo on the roof too? Which am i better off getting? and is Thule overrated? Thanks!

Jaimemuffin

See my previous posts here and here for some discussion on rack choices  You don't say if your car already has a factory rack or not so I can't tell what fits. Yakima or Thule are like Pepsi and Coke (both have their fans, both are popular and both work).

I don't have any of the aero bars, but then again, I already have a bunch of stuff that fits my old Yak round bars.  I don't think it is worth the money, but I don't drive with my bars on all the time (I put them on when I need them, and then take them off).  If you are going to be carrying around a bike rack or a kayak rack all the time because you do it frequently, the aero profile helps with wind noise.  I think the reduction in drag as it relates to mileage is de minimus.

Look for a nice big box on Cr@igslist or search fleabay and see if there is one for sale near you (people almost never want to ship them because it would cost too much).