Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay I just picked up a 92 Legacy Wagon And the parking lights stay on

not just a couple of them all of them yes I do know about the switch on the steering column

the threads I have read about it state possibly the switch itself is no good is this correct?

Please let me know what else to look for before I go to tearing in to my steering column in swapping it out when it could be something super easy

The only other thing I can think of would be the tail and illumination lamp relay is stuck. Remove the relay and if the lights go out it could be a problem with the relay or wiring between the relay and the lights.

The switch draws power direct from the fuse box, so if removing the relay does not make the lights turn off, suspect a problem with the switch.

The switch can be bypassed by clipping the wires where they run down the column with the rest of the harness. But you need to splice two of the wires together or the park lamps won't work at all.

Or possibly something like an aftermarket alarm or remote start or some other wire related accessory that was installed by a PO and has gone kaput.

See any stray wires with crimp connectors or crimp splices under the dash?

The only other thing I can think of would be the tail and illumination lamp relay is stuck. Remove the relay and if the lights go out it could be a problem with the relay or wiring between the relay and the lights.

The switch draws power direct from the fuse box, so if removing the relay does not make the lights turn off, suspect a problem with the switch.

The switch can be bypassed by clipping the wires where they run down the column with the rest of the harness. But you need to splice two of the wires together or the park lamps won't work at all.

Or possibly something like an aftermarket alarm or remote start or some other wire related accessory that was installed by a PO and has gone kaput.

See any stray wires with crimp connectors or crimp splices under the dash?

No nothing out of the norm For the wires underneath the dash

The car did have Trailer 4 Way plug installed For towing

but all is look to be installed by u-haul and I've also removed it

because it's going on a different car

I will report back once I do a little more digging into this problem

Trailer wiring can sometimes cause problems, but usually when the light switch is On.

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like power for the lights comes through fuse 23 (underhood) and splits to the tail&illum. Relay, and to the park light switch on the column. Pull that fuse and see if the lights turn off.

If they turn off, good chance the problem is either the tail&illum. relay or the park lamp switch on the column.

If they DON'T turn off, you have a back feed somewhere which could be in the illumination circuit in the dash. Possibly in the radio harness if it has an aftermarket head unit.

Or you could have a short between the trunk light wiring and the tail lamp wiring in the trunk. Possibly at/near the hinge point of the trunk lid. Fuse 25 (underhood) powers the trunk light.

Trailer wiring can sometimes cause problems, but usually when the light switch is On.

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like power for the lights comes through fuse 23 (underhood) and splits to the tail&illum. Relay, and to the park light switch on the column. Pull that fuse and see if the lights turn off.

If they turn off, good chance the problem is either the tail&illum. relay or the park lamp switch on the column.

If they DON'T turn off, you have a back feed somewhere which could be in the illumination circuit in the dash. Possibly in the radio harness if it has an aftermarket head unit.

Or you could have a short between the trunk light wiring and the tail lamp wiring in the trunk. Possibly at/near the hinge point of the trunk lid. Fuse 25 (underhood) powers the trunk light.

Okay thank you I will look into that tomorrow And report back to what I find