Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, since "SVX" is disallowed as a search term, guess I'll just have to ask.

Is a '94 SVX a good car, a bad car, a dream car, rust prone, a maintiance nightmare, a complete spaceship, or what?  A keeper, or something to move on from?

I know nothing, and can prove it..

bk

The svx is for the most part reliable, but if you cant work on it yourself, it will be VERY expensive to maintain. most mechanics, including subie dealers dont have a clue about them.

That said, yes the trans IS the weak link on these, fortunately its the same trans as every ej series car uses, including the STi 6speed *evil grin*.

I just picked up a 92 SVX to replace my XT-6. They are very unique in many ways, which kinda requires that you become a SVX enthusiast or you will become frustrated trying to find parts.

The biggest issue these cars have is the rear wheel bearings have a short <50K mile lifespan. 

The brakes are undersized for a car that weighs 3,580-lbs and wear out quickly when driven aggressively.

The spark plugs are difficult to change due to proximity to unibody.

The OEM struts tend to fail before expected.

I've read that the catalytic converters are hard to find and cost a lot.

But, all of the above make them an epic poor mechanic's exotic dream car...and you can pick them up for under $1,000.

First one I went and looked at, the guy wanted 2k for it, I wouldn't have taken it as a gift.. Years under a large tree, in the rain, mushrooms growing from the floormat, mold from the seat..

Couldn't see inside from outside 'cause condensation on inside of glass.  I wouldnt have paid rental on a trailer to tow it away, the guy thought 2k was reasonable.  Is the engine worth that or something?

bk