Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Subaru Legacy Heater Hose Bypass PIPE under Intake

Help! I popped a hole in my heater hose bypass pipe under the intake that runs from the water pump the heater core. I have checked several junk yards and called several mechanics and no one can help. My car will not hold fluid. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help me fix it?????

If its rusted thru then have it replaced , if the metal is sound then have somebody remove it and either braze or wire feed weld it. JB weld could work in the short term but you need a better fix , if you want to trust your car.  The real question would be how did a hole get in this pipe ? If its rusted is it from the inside ? like water and no antifreeze ? or from outside like road salt making its way up there ? Or did you bang it somehow ? Fix the cause and the problem won't return !

I had a very similar situation. Follow this link to my posting: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151500-pinhole-in-pipe-leading-to-coolant-bypass-hose/

It may seem daunting but the repair is very easily accomplished. If you cannot find a replacement pipe, cutting out the damaged portion and running heater hose as a bridge may be your fix (Bushwick's advice on my post), which in my opinion is better than JB weld. If you go with the JB weld option, make sure your area is cleaned thoroughly and dry. If you don't have it dry you may need to go with JB Water Weld (8277).