Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Subaru legacy ignition/ground issue?

Hey all!

95 Legacy won't start and I believe it's either a ground or relay issue but I'm not sure.

When I put in the key and turn it to ACC the car beeps, the oil light comes on, but no other lights, turn key over and oil light goes off. The door indicators work as well until I turn the key..

Car did this yesterday at the grocery store but then started after trying for about a half hour, and also couple months ago but started after an hour or so as well.

I tried taking the ignition apart and turning the plastic portion with a screw driver but the results are the same so I believe the cylinder can be ruled out, any ideas?

Thanks!

How did I miss this?

Did you make sure the battery cables are clean and tight?

Usually starting issues are battery or worn contacts in the starter solenoid.

The battery cables are very tight, clean, and the car gets power. Here are some things I've found while messing around with it.

The key cylinder works because the car beeps as soon as start to turn the key even with the ignition wiriing disconnected so I know the key detector works.

When I turn on the 4 ways this relay or whatever it is circled in the picture below starts buzzing. I've tried replacing this part with another one from a RUNNING subaru and nothing changed.

2015-03-13-20-24-48_zpsr1imgztx.png

At one point two days ago I was able to get everything working, but this was after the key was in the ON position for about 15min so something is either burnt in the wiring harness and manages to get a current through after some point or there is a bad ground some where.

Can someone link me a wiring diagram or a diagram showing all the ground points?

I'm at wits end with this car and I'm acutally thinking about selling it now..

Someone had a power delivery issue a few months ago and found a corroded terminal in a large connector high up behind the instrument panel. I tried to find it but haven't had much luck. He ended up having to bypass the connector with a new section of wire.

I can't find the thread, but I do remember he was having a problem with power getting to the main relay and fuel pump relay. The problem was in a connector with 8 or 10 wires where power from the fuse panel under the hood comes in and joins the main dash harness.