Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reverse Issue MT

Hello!

I Just picked up a new 89 loyale, 5sp dr. When I go to back out of a parking spot after it has sat for while I get nothing from the reverse gear. The shifter falls into the pocket like normal, but when you let out the clutch you get no movement, you can also roll the car around at this point like the vehicle is in neutral. Once you've driven the car around for a few minutes, reverse will start to work like normal.

I do live in Alaska, and since I have bought the car it has been in the single digits. My only though is it could be a gear oil issue.

Thanks

Carp

Edited by bigwildcarp

Sounds very much like a gear oil issue. There was another thread here within the last two weeks with the same exact issue. I'm curious what happens if you park the car with it left in reverse and see if it moves in the morning?

It could be due to the fact that the gear oil is too thick when cold. hince why it works when it is warmed up, maybe try a thinner weight oil? or maybe synthetic. first things first make sure it is gear oil in it, and at the proper level. not too full or low. try shifting into 2nd, 4th. then reverse see if that helps. reverse is usually a spurr cut gear, some have synchros some dont. It could be a number of things, and would ultimatley lead do dissasembly and inspection of linkages/gears etc related to reverse. note any growling noises (bearing faliure) gear clash (clutch or worn synchros etc..) if you are fine with waiting for it to warm up then i guess just roll with it lol someone could have even tried jamming it in reverse and bent the linkage or something. hope that helps lol.