Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5 RS Won't Start: No Noise!

I have a 98 Impreza 2.5 RS 5SPD MT

I've had a intermittent problem with my car not starting and its finally become constant. 

I turn the key, the dash lights up, windows can move up and down, radio turns on, etc., but starter doesn't engage. No clicking from the solenoid. I hear my fuel pump prime. When it started this issue, it happened once in a blue moon, then started happening more frequently.

The reason I haven't taken care of it up until this point was because I could fix it by just putting it into neutral, releasing the e brake and then rocking the car. If that didn't work, I normally on a hill of some kind and just roll started my car. 

The only consistent factor that seemed to cause this to occur, was when the air temperature changed a significant amount. Once, I got it started it would then start fine until the next time the temperature changed. 

I've pulled the starter and bench tested it. It is fully functional. I've pulled the clutch safety switch and its also fully functional.

All input is accepted!

Yes, the starter does not seem to be the issue.

My theory is that there is something electrical that is going on before the starter. It seems like power is not reaching the starter. I've jumped the car straight from the battery to the starter.

OK, I suggest that you test for 12V at the starter solenoid-coil.

There should be a single light-gage wire that plugs into the side of the starter - NOT the heavy-gage wire for the starter windings.

With the engine not running, unplug that light-gage wire.

Test the voltage coming from the wiring harness into that plug, and compare to any engine ground:

- depress the clutch-pedal to the floor, and hold it down.

- with the ignition-key in OFF, ACC or RUN, voltage should be 0V.

- with the ignition-key all the way over to START, voltage should be around 12V.

IF SO, then the problem is with the starter.

IF NOT, then the problem is 'upstream' of the starter.

Edited by forester2002s
  • Like 2

I think I solved the problem!

After checking the volts with a meter, I was getting power, but the starter still wasn't working. I went and got it bench tested again. The bench test said it was still functioning, but after some small talk with the advanced auto guy, I found out that there was a mystery third wire that was attached in on the stud that the solenoid was attached to. So after looking at some wiring diagrams I discovered that one of the previous owners had attached a random wire to the starter and it was screwing everything up.

So I don't know how it ever worked, my only theory was the temperature was somehow changing things. But we will see if this works indefinitely.

Thanks for your support. If this isn't the solution, I'll be back!

Edited by G_Mossman