Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap CA

So I have a 1987 Subaru Rx turbo looking to do an ej22 swap, I'm looking to go to a junkyard pulling the engine and the wiring harness, which year engine should I look for that's the simplest. I was planning on sending the harness to sjr was wondering if anyone has done this how long this usually takes? Also was wondering if it was as simple as swapping the engine mounts putting the new wire harness in then the adapter plate then dropping the engine. Give a take a few mistakes in the process. And last question I need to do a CA smog when this is done what do I need to swap over. Thanks sorry new to this forum life.

Welcome to the forum. I've not done a EJ22 retrofit yet, but I know there's a lot of writeups on here about it that can answer a lot of the questions, or someone will chime in here for them.

I know about the smog stuff since I'm in the same state and researched similarly after some EJ22 swaps in place of EJ25s. Your smog check will be good until it expires. You'll have 2 options when smog is due for the car after the swap.

1. Typically most pragmatic as CA laws are asinine. Make the swap look as stock as possible.Swap the stickers under the hood to match the motor. Count on the guy doing the smog to not recognize the difference between an EA82 and an EJ22, smog it and drive it.

2. Follow the letter of the law. Schedule an inspection with a DMV referee to inspect the swap and sign off on it. Expect them to spend hours looking for every imaginable detail to find as many things as possible that will be required for the swap to be legitimate in their eyes. Buddy of mine has been having issues following this with an outback with an EJ22. Has EGR to match the outback and outback exhaust with 3 cats. Since the engine came from a 99 Legacy, which was non EGR and had only 2 cats he's having to replace his intake manifold, exhaust, and ECU. Even though the whole reason these refs exist is to minimize emissions and both EGR and the third cat help REDUCE emissions, They openly acknowledge that their jobs defeat the purpose of their jobs, but still require that absolutely everything be a match even though the end result is both worse and more expensive.

• Like 1

the saddest part is your neighbor Mexico is throwing R12 and running their vehicles with no catalytic converters, worse, the cars are going down the road smoking all over the place (ask me how i know) and to make matters worse, their not even new vehicles, 'Merica!! where we shoot ourselves in the foot to show the rest of the world were better and we did it first.

Edited by Subasaurus