Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i was reading some threads on clutch adjustments for my 96 legacy my clutch catches at the very top. I adjusted it on the transmission and i went underneath to my clutch pedal and found a spring that goes from the pedal to the assembly and it was broken. Also when i adjusted it and drove away the clutch immediately started slipping so i put it back up to the top of the release again. Did i do something wrong?

Adjusting the clutch cable will make the cutch slip if you adjusted it too tight.

High release point means the cable is too tight. The clutch could have been slipping before and wasn't as noticable.

Should have 1/4" of play in the release lever when the cable is adjusted properly.

Also have to adjust the hill holder cable when adjusting the clutch cable or the brakes will drag when releasing the clutch. Loosen the hill holder all the way, Adjust the clutch cable, then turn the adjusting nut on the hill holder cable until it just starts to pull on the lever on the hill holder mechanism.

Broken spring on the clutch pedal should be replaced because it pulls the pedal up when your foot is off of it. This could be part of the reason your release point feels too high if the pedal is resting on the cable all the time.