Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW manual transmission compatibility

Hi all,

I'm taking my transmission out in a few weeks because the diff is grinding around corners, and I'm currently searching for a replacement unit. I'm wondering about the compatibility of various transmissions with a 99 OBW.

Having read into transmission swaps a little, it's my impression that many of the units end up being compatible with the only potential complication being that you might need to swap the rear diff if the ratio is different.

Taking a look at this chart,

Www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru+Transmission+Chart

I see that, for example, the GT transmission for 99 is the same, with the exception of having a lower 5th gear (which actually seems like it'd help with highway mpg)

Am I right in thinking that there wouldn't be an issue with using that transmission in my OBW because the diffs are the same, or are there other complications?

You should be able to use 96-04 legacy Outback or 98-05ish forester. Some time after 02 the axles changed from separate stubs to integrated stubs on the inner joint. You can use those transmissions but they require swapping the front axles as well.

96-99 Legacy GT will work as well.