Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Morning! New user here, but not new to car repairs. 

So due to one issue which we thought was the catalytic converter but it was really the ignition coil, we are now at a lovely junction of exhaust issues. 

We had already taken the old cat off and purchased a new one (Evan Fischer brand, if you're curious).  But the flange on the exhaust manifold was too rusted for a proper seal with the gasket. If we buttoned her up from back to front, the exhaust leak was at the cat/manifold junction; from front to back both the cat/man junction and the cat/resonator junction had exhaust leaks. So I took the cat back off and was cleaning up the exhaust flange which was rather rusted to get a better seal on it.  But with further inspection, I also noticed that the flange itself was degrading- just losing bits due to rust.  I was planning on using some of that QuikSteel stuff to build it up a bit around the edges. But...

Would it be in our best interest to remove the heat shield on the manifold to inspect the y-pipe itself?  

I think it would be. He's arguing with me about it. :banghead: 

We've already replaced the resonator and muffler last fall due to them rusting and breaking. Both of those were replaced with Evan Fischer brand parts as well; the boyfriend had the forethought to get the same maker for the cat as he did previously. 

Thanks for your time. If you need pictures, just let me know and I'll take some. 

Rachel

The only purpose of the heat shields is to prevent starting a fire, if you ever park in high dry weeds after the car had been running for a while. In my experience, the Y pipes don't rust much to cause problems. If you can't detect (hear) an exhaust leak from the Y pipe, then IMO there isn't any need to remover the heat shields looking for a problem.

Thank you.  It passed through my mind because of him replacing every other part of that system already and the rusted flange. 

Do you know if there is an easier way to get the right side bolt back on when attaching the cat to the manifold? I'm having a devil of a time doing it even with my small hands. 

Leave the heat shields on. Takes a lot of salt to rust those y-pipes out. The flanges are always a pain. They're usually warped because of all the rust, and the only good way to get them to seal is with muffler seal stuff or with this nasty goop called acousti-seal. Slather some on the gasket, put the gasket on, bolt it together and let it dry. Napa usually carries it. Use gloves when handling it because it's worse than tar.

That bolt is really hard to get to with the exhaust system all attached. If you really can't get it, drop the y-pipe down off the heads. Of course this will probably require then cleaning the head flanges, and new gaskets.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thank you for your assistance.  I didn't drop the Y down, but I did take off the bottom of the heat shield at that connection for better access. 

Building up the flange took much patience but eventually it was a consistency of clay and I was able to shape it as I wanted.  The Permatex Ultra Copper is messy stuff, but it worked. I got everything repaired, back on, tightened down, and his car is nice and quiet again. 

:D  On to the next repairs for him: Why does he have water in one of his back lights, why is the license plate bulb not working, and fix the utility port. 

Some day I'll get to my car. lol 

Or you could make him fix his own car!

He tried at least twice on his own, but it just needed a little extra, creative love to get it done.

My bf had never even so much changed a tire until he met me. Now he can do beginner and some intermediate maintenance usually with minimal assistance after spending about a year fetching me tools and watching. He also works nights so he doesn't see the sun as much, thus me doing much of the repairs cause natural lighting is awesome.