Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Annoying high idle and getting too warm

Along with my bad fuel problem, my hicappy carburetor has decided that in return for all the rebuilds that i have done to it that it would reward me with an idle issue. When it is cold, it will hardly idle unless i help it along for about 1 minute. And now when it warms up it will idle at 1500rpms (too high) im thinking its the choke. How would i go about adjusting tbe choke to make sure it stops this silly behavior?

Also, im running too warm. Not overheating, but gettung warmer than normal. I just flushed my system and installed a new h2o pump. My thermostat is oem with about 8,000 miles on it. Im thinking about going woth a new aftermarket thermostat and seeing if that helps. What aftermarket brands are reliable?

Are the fan/s coming on and running constantly? Do you have a way to verify if the car is actually running hot? Its possible your lean condition is causing you to run warmer. Running warmer, but not overheating can be a bad thing... Have you done the simple checks, like looking for vac leaks or making sure youre getting a good fuel flow?

Forgot to mention to make sure your secondary isnt stuck open, had this happen once and made the car idle high and hard to start.

Edited by ihscout54

Are the fan/s coming on and running constantly? Do you have a way to verify if the car is actually running hot? Its possible your lean condition is causing you to run warmer. Running warmer, but not overheating can be a bad thing... Have you done the simple checks, like looking for vac leaks or making sure youre getting a good fuel flow?

Forgot to mention to make sure your secondary isnt stuck open, had this happen once and made the car idle high and hard to start.

Ive check repeatedly for vac leaks and have yet to find any. Visually speaking the fuel flow seems to be fine.i only have one fan and it does come on frequently, especially on longer trips. No secondary is not stuck. Edited by Sapper 157

• 2 weeks later...

The way I checked my electric choke was I ran a jumper from battery + to the one wire on the choke housing. As the thermo spring warmed up the butterfly should slowly open. Mine wouldn't even get warm. So went to the parts store and for $16 I got a manual choke. Very simple to install. This coming from a test light n wire cap mech.(me)